Sign in to follow this  

200, How old ?

Im sure this question has been asked, and I apologize. Im moving my son, who is a 14 yr old B rider, from a yz 125 to a 200. Assuming I dont have the cash for a new one, ( which I don't ) How old should I go ?

Thanks

I see guys woopin ass on old bikes all the time. I'm talking like 10 yrs old. I wouldn't go any older than that because spare parts might be harder to get.

The 200 has only been around since 98. Well 97 1/2 if you count the limited edition Jack Piner edition.The engines have remained pretty much the same throughout the years I think. They did go to a smaller carb in 07. Read through the KTM 2 stroke FAQ sticky thread near the top of the page. The general discussion section discusses the changes to the bikes over the years. Just buy the cleanest one that you can afford and you will have one happy kid.

Mine is 1999 model and I can still get all the spares for it.. with the suspension setup it is pretty quick even against todays bikes.

Are you asking about model years or wear?

What kind of riding/racing will he be doing?

I have a 2004 200SX that is still in great condition. That is the kind of bike you want to find. I was looking for a 200EXC, but found a 200SX, which people didn't want to buy back in 2006. Now the motor is highly spoken of.

If you search this forum, you'll see which years bought out big changes to the frame, suspension, and motor.

Im sure this question has been asked, and I apologize. Im moving my son, who is a 14 yr old B rider, from a yz 125 to a 200. Assuming I dont have the cash for a new one, ( which I don't ) How old should I go ?

Thanks

simple, the newest you can afford in the best shape.

KTM updates their frames about every 3 years which some consider a breakpoint between older vs. newer bike.

Looking at older exc/xc/xcw models for example, 2005 and 2008 had frame changes. Not positive if 2002 was a frame change year?

Like above, newest you can get. Frame changes IMO are not that big how you much time you invest in tunnig and set up is way more important esp at B level and up.

They are all good bikes. I would look for a '03' or newer. I like the newer plastic with the orange tank. I would jump on an older one if it was really clean with low hours!

Thanks for all the info, I dont want to go much older than an 08. Is there really that much differance between an 08 or 09 to the brand new ones ?

'08 suspension is considerably choppier than '09, but can easily be fixed w/a good $400 revalve. Same applies between '08 & '11, but probably more than $400.

'08 to '09 power is the same, '08 to '011 a ltttle smoother on the newer bike.

I can't speak to the '12s but reports are they are better suspended/handle better/smoother power than '08 - 09 models, or even '11s.