Sign in to follow this  

gearing question

2006 250xc, stock gearing is 14/50 I believe, a long time ago I went to 13/48. I've been riding that set up for 4 years problem free and decided to change it up and put a 14/52. I only really ride desert now and was looking for a little more top end (speed), but I think I went the wrong way??? Should I have just gone back to my stock gearing with 14/50 to achieve that?? Will my change even be noticeable from the 13/48?? any help would be greatly appreciated! :thumbsup:

14/52 is marginally lower than 13/48 although I doubt it's noticable. If you want higher top speed try 14/48 (because you have them already) 14/50 would obviously be right in the middle.

yea I think when you do the math 13/48 = 3.69 and 14/52 is 3.71.... i dont wanna put a old sprocket on a new chain so, hopefuly that 2 tenths isn't gonna make THAT much of a difference. I'll be testing it this weekend so, I guess we will find out... thanks for your reply..

update.... surprisingly my 13/48 was more tractor like with better top end as with the 14/52 i found myself having to use way more clutch and also kept finding myself reaching for that imaginary gear i wish i had...

i did put a new wiesco piston in it compared to the "stock" (vertex?), i dont know if the difference in piston's could have an effect on "luggability", but i don't think i like the 14/52 compared to my old 13/48....