Sign in to follow this  

where to buy a fork brace for 86 xr250

does anyone know where to get a forkbrace for a xr250 (86)? i checked xr's only they only one for the 650

DSC00070-Copy.jpgAre the forks 'fixed'? (sprung for your weight, oil, maybe revalved)

If not, get a LOT more value than adding a brace to the stock limp spaghetti fork.

I've got my stock 85 forks off and some stock 650L forks off and some 400 forks that are sprung for my weight and the difference pushing on each one against the ground is staggering! And 650L forks ain't all that either!

They were sprung for 150 lb rider 25 years ago. :thumbsup:

Springs are $100, oil change. Good enough for most.

Could convert to USD forks for less than $200 or for cheaper buy same size tubes, newer XR (or anything that fits and is an upgrade) and slide into triples. Would have to change bearings on front wheel as front axles got bigger in 88(?), 15mm to 17mm. (or buy wheel to match forks, CR wheels go CHEAP compared to XR)

no they are NOT sprung for me they are stock front n rear. and im a fata** at 250lbs. was thinking bout just getting progreeive springs for both ends and heavier oil in forks. would just doing that be a big enuf upgrade to be noticeable? OR, should i do this, i can get a complete front end off of a 88 cr250 they will fit with alil work but in ur opinions would this be a decent upgrade ???

Hey Baja, I like where you are leading my decision. I feel the forks off of 88cr250 will be a very Good upgrade! I'm not sure what you mean by using a spacer to limit travel. Where does the spacer go?

I made one out of pvc it goes under small spring in fork.You will need xr500-600-400 triple clamps.One small problem with 88cr250 conv forks they changed the valving in 88.The 87 cr500-250 works way better.Yes they can revalve them.Also you leave out the top spacer on spring,when you reduce travel.

Maybe cheaper to put on good used forks that dont need a brace.With stock forks you would not be able to ride it fast to need a brace.

Sounds like a challenge :busted: I'm faster on my 87 250 than any of my friends on their fancy KTMs/KXs/YZs. It's not the machine....

no they are NOT sprung for me they are stock front n rear. and im a fata** at 250lbs. was thinking bout just getting progreeive springs for both ends and heavier oil in forks. would just doing that be a big enuf upgrade to be noticeable? OR, should i do this, i can get a complete front end off of a 88 cr250 they will fit with alil work but in ur opinions would this be a decent upgrade ???

I have progressive spings front and rear on my 87, plus gold valve cartridge emulators in the fork. The springs are much better than stock, but far from what I would consider decent suspension. I'm only 155lbs, would not recommend for someone much larger. I do ride very agressively though, so YMMV.

Note that if you go with MX forks they will more than likely be too stiff for woods riding (assuming here that you're not using an XR for the track), so you still may end up needing to swap the springs.

That is true RP about mx usd forks.On rsu forks (87CR500) that is not the case they come with 21pound springs.On paper they would be too soft for anything.I ride a 87cr500,I like the forks so much,I got two more sets,one on my xr300,the other on my 07wr450.They ride like (Trail riding) no other over rocks,ruts,square edge,roots,Yet on G OUts they dont bottom out.I only use 2-1/2 oil.It is because of long bottom out cones,that are not like other forks.Yes your 87cr250 forks are gold,dont let them get away.

The progressive rear shock spring is good enough to make a noticable difference for my 240lbs. The fork springs less so from what I've seen and read about.

But a straight rate Eibach or other is still better. I've got a 12.0 on my 400 and it's much better than the progressive (9.0-12.5 or similar if memory serves)

Gotta decide how much money you want to drop on an old bike. :busted:

I"ve got over 3k in that 350 in the pic. :busted: (rebuilit everything)

Cheap but still way better would be some 400 or 650R forks that would slide right on with a $20 bearing change to run your old wheel. USD's work well and are sexy to have, but they aren't that much better than good XR forks, have to buy wheel too and raise the front end a bunch.