Sign in to follow this  

yamaha fork seals terrible

Every yamaha ive owned gets leaky fork seals before hitting 20 hr mark. I maintaine my bikes to a t and havnt had these issues with fork seals this early with other brands ive owned. The yz suspension is A1 for sure but what a pain dealing with this so soon after purchasing. Any thoughts on this from u guys. Thx. for the imput.

seal savers or make a tool out of 35mm film to fish the junk out of them. Real easy. Most times you can fish the junk out of the seal with that tool. Search and you will find.

I use the motion pro SEAL MATE and it has been working excellent for me. I did have a smoker but i am going on 77 hours on my yz450f 09 and they have leaked a tiny bit but nothing crazy but whenever i used that seal mate they stopped leaking

I had a similar problem on the WR fork seals were leaking every other ride. (very Frustrating)

So I decided to hunt down and kill the problem.

I took the forks apart polished the fork tubes, replaced the bearings and seals.

The think I think made the biggest difference was I took my seal drivers and polished/rounded all the edges nice and smooth where they contact the fork and seal. Then when i install the seal i set the fork on the work bench and pull down on the seal driver (hang a lot of my weight on it) I stopped Hammering the seals with the driver.

I also stopped putting grease between the seal and wiper. I just keep it clean in there now.

Now my seals last a long time. I wish I could tell the exact cause of the seal failures but the combination of those things helped a lot.:thumbsup:

I rarely replace one. A brand new seal will leak as soon a sit gets a spec of dirt under it. Cleaning works amazingly well. I use th emotion pro thing since it was on sale for 35 cents.

I also believe using car wax on the fork tubes totally eliminates wear. The stuff Chad Harris made, Forslyk was amazing, but I dont believe he makes it anymore. He is a mad scientist, modern style, so theres no telling what he has now.

I just pull the dust seals down and clean it out good in there with a blast of brake clean, then make sure to clean out the dust seal too. I do this pretty much everytime I wash my bike. Then apply a very light coating of fork oil to the tubes with a rag.

Every since I started doing this I haven't had any trouble with fork seals. I think I have 70 hours on my current set. I might throw new ones in when I service the forks this winter though.

I just had my fork seals replaced when my suspension was rebuilt dont know what brand they are but they are leaking bad! I think it has a tear or something in them after only 4 hrs according to the hour meter. I took it to the track yesterday and when I got home there was a puddle of fork oil under my right fork.:thumbsup:

No film or cleaning is gonna fix that.

I replaced the fork seals on my 125 when I first got it up and running well over a year ago. No problems since.

I think it is definately related to the way the seals are installed.

Not too long ago I used the Seal Saver tool on one of my Hondas and it definitely stopped the leak on the left side of that bike. Although it wasn't really leaking all that bad, it was still enough of an issue that I felt as though it needed to be addressed before it got much worse. None of the fork seals on my Yamahas have ever leaked, but both of my Hondas' fork seals have leaked at one time or another. The strange thing is that the Hondas and Yamahas have all been maintained the same way. Just the luck of the draw I guess...

Wow- 20 hours. I'd be bummed. I've wondered why some people have such problems and i don't. Older KTMs have a terrible reputation and my stock '05 KTM seals are over 400 hours old! I clean them but nothing special. My YZ s are doing fine and very used.

I've heard the idea that unalligned forks are a likely cause.

I'll bet that there is a VERY small rock nick on the fork tube(s). This will be so small that you will barely be able to see it. Examine the tubes very carefully while rubbing the tubes with a razor blade to help detect these small imperfections. I ride about 150 to 200 hours a year in sometimes muddy Arkansas and seals last 3 or 4 years for me. I usually sell the bike before I have to replace a seal. If you are replacing seals regularly then there is something wrong. If you can't find something wrong have a friend take a lokk too.

I'll bet that there is a VERY small rock nick on the fork tube(s). This will be so small that you will barely be able to see it. Examine the tubes very carefully while rubbing the tubes with a razor blade to help detect these small imperfections. I ride about 150 to 200 hours a year in sometimes muddy Arkansas and seals last 3 or 4 years for me. I usually sell the bike before I have to replace a seal. If you are replacing seals regularly then there is something wrong. If you can't find something wrong have a friend take a lokk too.

That makes sense, but what about my case? Since I had the tubes micro polished and told they were in perfect condition? I havnt pulled the seals out to inspect them but Id have to think that the right seal is torn by the amount of fluid that poured out. How does that happen after only 4 hours. I did notice a loud metal to metal sounding thump from the forks towards the end of the day. Never been inside the forks so IDK what could be wrong.

I'm afraid that the forks need to come apart. Note that many guys use the fork leg as a slide hammer to get the forks apart. This will sometimes destroy the seals and/or the lower fork bushings. Heat the aluminum upper tube and the tubes will come apart easily. Metal to metal sounds are not good!!! Something is broke or did not get assembled properly.

I'm afraid that the forks need to come apart. Note that many guys use the fork leg as a slide hammer to get the forks apart. This will sometimes destroy the seals and/or the lower fork bushings. Heat the aluminum upper tube and the tubes will come apart easily. Metal to metal sounds are not good!!! Something is broke or did not get assembled properly.

Thanks for the help... I wont be doing anything to them. Ill be sending them back to the suspension company. Just odd because they worked really well before that and havnt been off the bike since. Wonder what could have went wrong. Id hope that they would use the correct tools to do the work since I paid an arm and a leg to a reputable suspension company to do the work, and fix everything that was fubarred/ worn due to not being touched previously.

97% of the time no matter how bad oils gushing you can use 35mm film cut in a hook like motion pros tool to make your seals seal again. I just used a negitive out of some old film we had around the house to make mine. Just pull the dust seal down clean inbetween the seals good then take your hooked piece of film and poke it up into the seal and run it around 2 times then clean. Repeat this untill the seal seals. If you already have a huge lake of oil your better just rebuilding the fork. The youtube video I posted earlyer in this thread shows exactly how to do this.

Don't forget, not all fork seals are made equally. I find the stockers to be quite good. I do pull the dust seals and clean/grease the are between every 1-5 rides (depending on conditions, more often when muddy).

After every wash, flick you dust seal down. Coat it with silicon spray. Push the dust seal back up. And also spray your fork legs with silicon spray also.

But try not hit the brakes.

What happens after you wash it you wash away the fine film of oil on the fork leg. Leaving the fork tube dry and more so rips at the seal since it has no lubricated surface.

Seal savers are good for heavy mud. But really dusty conditions they could trap more dust than actually wipe any off.

If they are new and just out of the no where start leaking rapidly it would be most likely from dirt trapped in the lip.

Surprisingly my last bike I had since new, (06 Husqvarna 250 2t), everytime the seals leaked, I just used a seal cleaner on them. If they kept leaking, I kept cleaning them. Those original seals were still on it when I sold the bike 4 months ago. I got nearly 5 years and still going out of a set of seals! All I ever did was change the fork oil regularly and installed heavier fork springs.