Sign in to follow this  

creeping idle

I was out riding last weekend on my 05 rmz450 and about 5 times throughout the day when i would stop my bike would be idleing pretty high (sounded like about 1/8th turn of the throttle). each time i would reach down and turn the idle screw on the carb until it was normal again, but when i would stop it would be reving again... besides that issue the bike ran great, started fisrt or second kick hot or cold, no popping or backfires.

Im not sure what the problem could be at this point, any help is appriciated :thumbsup:

personally i would first lube all the throttle cable lines make sure nothing is kinked, also i would double check the the throttle cable adjustment down on the carb.. i know if these are not adjusted right they can cause some in-consistant trouble. because its a dual cable set up. the manual has proper way to adjust. and im sure ur filter is cleaaan rightt:thumbsup: hope this helps

ive been riding in sand alot lately so i clean the filter after each ride, but ill have to check the throtle cable adjustment. lubing the throttle and clutch cables were on my to do list for this weekend so ill see if that helps. thanks!

A creeping idle is usually an air leak between the carburetor and the intake boot. Perhaps you have a crack in rubber manifold. Perhaps you need to replace o rings and gaskets in carb.