Sign in to follow this  

Which DR650 mono shock to buy?

I took my '03 DR650 in for state inspection yesterday. Talking to the mechanic, I mentioned the price of the suspension kits from ProCycle and my need to lower the bike (bad back makes getting on & off an "adventure").

He suggested buying a "better quality" after market rear shock in a shorter than stock length. Makes sense to me-anybody done it? What brand? How much can the rear of the bike be lowered this way? If I can get a good shorter rear shock w/a heavy spring (I weigh 260), I'll go ahead & buy the Pro-Cycle kit for the forks w/ a progressive spring & drop them in the triple-trees at least an inch.

Any experience & advice appreciated,

NOS Thump

I have the same question about my '95 dr650. But in my case, the monoshock it's worthless because of time en use by former owners of the bike. I am short (1.63m) and I weight about 65kg so i had to lower the bike a lot to be able to touch the floor. But the monoshock it's working poorly anyways. I thought about buying one in Procycle, but i don't know what's the criteria for choosing one. What would you recommend?

Please, i'd like to learn and pick the right one for me!

Thanks for any help at all,

Greetings from Chile

In case the stock shock is still in working condition you could mount it to the lower mount AND use lowering links - this should clip about 2" from the seat height. In addition, lowering links make the damper less progressive, which should help further. Shave some foam from the seat and you should be done for minimal money. When you got the damper out you could give it a fresh refill of shock-oil as well.

Artifundio, stock dampers (if obtainable) sell for nearly nothing, so why not give another stocker a try?

Thanks El Capitan. The thing I did, was to buy a srping from a yamaha xt600 in a motorcycle junk yard, and the performance improved a little. But it's notorious that when trying to lift the bike frome the rear side handles, the rear wheel stays always in the ground :busted:

About the other things, the seat has already been modified and for this model there are no lowering links available (the desing does not allow to put any links), and i have consulted with 3 mechanics and agree that to fabricate a new part (it is shaped like a stirrup) would be hard en very expensive.

So, as i HAVE to buy a new monoshock, i wonder and read all day long trying to learn about it and make a smart buy.

I don't know if it's best to buy the original (available in bikebandit.com) or to take the oportunity to make an improvement to my driving confort and buy a different shock. In ProCycle there are listed different shocks and i don't know wich could be the best for me. I have the Acerbis 25 liter gas tank installed, by the way... And i am a female. I don't know if that's important, but maybe it is.

Greeting from Chile!

Sorry, but... I don't know what "cogent" means. And GoogleTranslate doesn't help at all :busted:

Would somebody explain to me, please?

Sorry, but... I don't know what "cogent" means. And GoogleTranslate doesn't help at all :busted:

It is just a name brand of an aftermarket shock. The way I understand it is they take a stock DR650 rear shock and build it up with better parts.

FloridaSteve posted the link to motocd.

This is the company called Cogent Dynamics.

They are famous for some of the highest quality suspension work available.

Here is the link to the DR650 page:

http://www.motocd.com/cd/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=55:suzuki-dr-650-suspension-&catid=39:suspension-products&Itemid=66

(Hope that works)

They take your stock shock, in any condition, and completely rebuild it to MUCH better than new and actually to the level of performance of the best, and most expensive shock you can buy. Or that is what others who have had Cogent rebuild their shock say. I am sending mine in with the current group buy to save $80 on the rebuild so I am hoping that I find the improvement to be as dramatic as others have. :busted:

It is NOT inexpensive.

They will rebuild your shock to be lower or standard height.

You could have them lower your shock AND install the aftermarket lowering links for the suspension and really make you bike low to the ground.

I don't think you would want to do that if you ride off road though.