Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

New KLX 140L Owner

Recommended Posts

Greetings All,

My wife decided that she wanted another bike after selling the CRF 150R... It was a little much on the power for her. I did my research and decided on the KLX 140L, which was what she wanted this time around. She had a TTR 125L and that wasn't quite enough in handling and power.

This forum had so many helpful people that it mapped out my approach to the set up. I really wanted to thank all those owners that shared their mods and builds in detail.

I found a used 2009 KLX 140L up in the Seattle area for a sweet deal of $1500.00. We drove up and bought it. It was in good shape, just need some deep cleaning, jetting and the airbox mod.

IMG_20110920_191320.jpg

Stock KLX 140L- $1500.00

It was ridden in the sand one weekend. I had to tear it all down and clean all the sound out. The air filter was clogged up with sand. Luckily none penetrated through it. I bought a new Uni filter, vented the airbox and re-jetted the carb. It runs like a champ now.

IMG_20110925_215629.jpg

2001 Kawasaki KX 85 donor bike- $275.00

I scored on this deal. I had found a 2001 KX 85 on craigslist with a blown motor. They originally wanted $325.00 for it. My wife talked him down to $275.00. We picked up and I stripped it down. All the parts I needed added up to about $600.00 off eBay to convert the suspension over. This was a huge savings! The motor parts were in a rubber tub with water in it. All the components I used were in great shape, no leaky seals.

IMG_20110925_215750.jpg

Ready to do business!

IMG_20110926_093613.jpg

All the KX parts stripped down and cleaned up to go.

IMG_20111004_172034.jpg

I bought a dremel tool and it didn't work that great. Then I purchased an angle grinder and some various discs. That angle grinder was th ebest tool for the job. The dremel was a waste of money.

It took some time to grind down to fit the rear shock and clearance it. I used washers over cutting a spacer. That seemed to work good. I flipped the linkage and ground it down. I had a spray can of hammerite to paint the linkage with.

IMG_20111006_114316.jpg

Job complete!

It took a while waiting on some parts, mainly the jets. I eliminated the power switch behind the number plate. The choke was relocated below as per a previous thread. That worked out really slick.

IMG_20111006_114325.jpg

I used the KX number plate and the stock KLX fender for now. I installed some Pro-Taper SE bars, grips and some handguards. It starts and runs perfect after the re-jetting. After I sell some KX parts on eBay, I'll buy the Two Bros exhaust.

For now I am very please with the results and so is my wife. It added the much needed seat height and handling. :thumbsup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:

Sign in to follow this  

×