Sign in to follow this  

Ideas for a third bike?

Hey guys and gals, just looking for opinions and advice. I currently own a 2006 CRF250R, and a CR125, and i ride track several times a week. Recently i made a few friends that ride trails A LOT, and got to tag along a few times. I found i quite enjoyed the types of riding that the Canadian Badlands has to offer, gnarly hills, hidden canyons, and the like. Stuff that guys on 4 wheels only get to dream about.

Problem is this. I dont think i am on the right bike to be doing this. Gearing ratios all seem too high, and the "R" is a little short on utility. Even at idle i am usually on the brakes if i am not leading, and man oh man do my current bikes hate that.

Price is not a big concern, i am willing to buy new, I just dont know what i really need to be looking for.

I like a 4 stroke for beating the bush, my CR125 just doesnt work for what i am doing. Its a lot more fun on the track, and i am faster on it, but speed on an unkown trail in these conditions will kill me im sure.

Other than that, i just dont know. I have no particular brand loyalty, but i have limited experience on anyting but Honda MX bikes. Even then, i only bought my first bike about 3 months ago, so i dont have a lot of seat time to compare the finer points.

Ideas?

Not me, but they are riding where i started. Pretty sweet terrain.

Edited by 250f-rider
typo, wrote "or" instead of "of"

Im not much of an expert but a lot of guys ride KTMs offroad you could try their xc models or if you want wider gears go with an xc-w model.

First, I would recommend a KTM...400/450 EXC if you want a 4t or a 250/300 XC/XC-W/EXC if you want a 2t. I have a 2007 300 XC and I love the bike...very powerful and nimble. Also, if are in the 4t market, you might check out the Yamaha WR450 or CRF450X in that order. My second bike is a WR and its been a great bike....but its no KTM.

well if your skinny as a rail a KTM 200 Xc-w is the way to go best trail bike BAR NONE!!! if your a little hefty a 300 would be a better bike rides like a tractor.

Im 180 lbs 6' tall and love my KTM 300 XC. You dont have to be a big guy to control 225 lbs dry. You have to be a strong rider to control a big bore 4t...I would know...my WR wears me out.

Also, a 300 has "tractor like power" down low, like a 4t. That doesnt mean its slow, quite the opposite...my bike is a rocket if you want it to be.

Im 180 lbs 6' tall and love my KTM 300 XC. You dont have to be a big guy to control 225 lbs dry. You have to be a strong rider to control a big bore 4t...I would know...my WR wears me out.

Also, a 300 has "tractor like power" down low, like a 4t. That doesnt mean its slow, quite the opposite...my bike is a rocket if you want it to be.

well 5'10" and 112 lbs so... i likey the 200.

150xc is another great choice! And its probably a better mx bike than that cr125 :thumbsup:

i got an rm 250 for woods and i love it, even with mx suspension its a lot of fun. turns like magic

Hey guys, thx for all the advice. Ended up going with an '09 WRF-250. Price was right, straight outta the dealer new, never ridden. The KTMs really looked great, but i think parts and service are still a little tough for me to deal with where i am. Only dealer close said that it was way easier to get a KTM worked on than it used to be, but when i pushed a bit he started backpedaling, so i walked.

Anywhooooo,

Now i have a brand new shiny.......sitting in the shop.........and snow on the ground. Well i guess its time to tear the reds down and get messy.

THX again everyone.:lol: