Sign in to follow this  

99 RM 250 clutch..mixing aftermarket parts?

My clutch was grabbing and "lurching" like crazy when I bought this bike 3 months ago. Hoping it was just the clutch pack, I ordered the Barnett Kevlar clutch kit, (the complete one,with plates, steels and springs). Upon tearing it down, found out the basket was shot too...(grooved badly). Ordered a Hinson basket for it. So I'll be mixing brands here. Common sense tells me there will be no problem, as I think everything is machined to factory specks, right?

I have a Hinson basket, FMF pressure plate, factory hub, Barnett springs and plates in my 96 and it works great. Dont forget to check the pushrod and engagement arm for wear because if these are worn you will get creep.:thumbsup:

Does your basket make a rattling sound too? Does it sound a little different when you pull in the lever? If it did, let us know if it still does after the new basket is installed. I have the same bike and it makes noise. I have heard it's no big deal but I just wanted to see if other people have the same issue.

I had the same rattle in my clutch(went away when you pulled clutch in), and when I had my RM down for rebuild I replaced pushrod and engagement lever with new parts. I also replaced the tranny bearings, and the primary shaft bearing on the left side(where the engagement arm is) had a TON of casting flash behind it. Once I cleaned all this up and put back together it was quiet as a churchmouse.:thumbsup:Hey Mark6299 where in Indiana are you at? I am in the South Bend area

I had the same rattle in my clutch(went away when you pulled clutch in), and when I had my RM down for rebuild I replaced pushrod and engagement lever with new parts. I also replaced the tranny bearings, and the primary shaft bearing on the left side(where the engagement arm is) had a TON of casting flash behind it. Once I cleaned all this up and put back together it was quiet as a churchmouse.:thumbsup:Hey Mark6299 where in Indiana are you at? I am in the South Bend area

Chesterton. Where do you guys ride? I bet Redbud. Do you guys ride locally, privately?

Hey Mark6299, we ride trails and generally ride in Michigan. There are a ton of great single tracks and twin tracks. The state of Mi. is great; They cater well to offroad riders and I am happy to spend my money there. We have a small group of riders that get together 4x per year, so I will give you a shout next spring when we fire up again.:thumbsup:

Hey Mark6299, we ride trails and generally ride in Michigan. There are a ton of great single tracks and twin tracks. The state of Mi. is great; They cater well to offroad riders and I am happy to spend my money there. We have a small group of riders that get together 4x per year, so I will give you a shout next spring when we fire up again.:ride:

Hey, put me on that list too! :thumbsup:

Sounds good. Worst that could happen is if I can't go due to being too busy. I have been to the White Cloud trails several times now. They are awsome. The more the better.

Sweet, sounds like a plan. Michigan400 is a riding buddy who is also a TTer:thumbsup: