Sign in to follow this  

Buying a neck brace, so should you

Well I thought I'd never need a neck brace and even looked down at them a little. I don't ride MX and don't jump much, by MX standards don't jump at all.

I do race 10-12 times a year, woods HS and maybe and in enduro. I was out trail riding with some guys. Not riding hard, wearing all my gear. We were coming up a farm road with large water holes in it. We would run across the road and up around the holes. Maybe 3rd gear, when I cut around a spot my bike suddenly stopped. I was standing and got pitched forward and over the bars. Just as I was about to let go when the bike came free and my momentum pulled it under me. This set me up to land on my head. Upside down, hands never made it up to help break my fall. I hit and felt my neck and spine compress, then fold my neck down chin to chest and roll over and back to my feet.

My rear time had caught some woven wire fence. The tire pulled it into the sprocket and the large bottom wire wrapped the sprocket bolts, then it pulled tight against a large tree it was nailed too. The fence finally broke just before I got thrown off.

5 weeks and my neck still hurts.

Rethink the neck brace if you don't wear one. Strange crap happens.

I will always wear a neck brace. I just bought a new one, if anyone is interested in a used a-stars neck brace with the aftermarket chest straps. let me know Ill sell it to them for $75 + shipping. let me know

thanks

+1!

Bought one and the next race I was in, wore it. Crashed hard, injured, but not the neck, and my EVS didn't break my collar bone either, although I know I would have had worse injuries without it. Helmet cracked on the lower rim, neck brace DENTED where the helmet hit. Would've been hurt a lot worse without it I'm certain. I wear it on trails now too.

I also had fence wire get caught in my sprocket, was fortunately going slow, but the weird thing is a loop of it caught around my boot toe and effectively wired my foot to my peg before stopping my bike. Had to have riding partner cut me loose.

Feel better soon:thumbsup:

When riding a motorcycle, anything can and most of the time will happen! Never can be too careful when it comes to protective equipment.

For the cost of a neck brace, it can really save you a lot of trouble in the future!

All the best,

Jason

Won't ride without one. But I'm sure you are going to hear from the anti neck brace people soon.

I just got my Alpine Stars Neck brace today. I wish I would have had it in July when I crashed during a race.......I suffered a broken neck and had surgery. Some say you may have a higher chance of breaking your collar bone, but I'd rather take that gamble.

I bought one for my son and I for when ever we ride two years ago. We treat them just like helmets and boots (regular stuff to put on to ride). I won't ride without it anymore. We both wear the EVS braces. It also helps with neck fatigue on long rides.:busted:

Had a riding buddy recently have an off (hit prairie dog mound wide open in 4th) that broke his neck WITH a Leatt. Would have been dead or paralyzed without.

What's the price on that?