Sign in to follow this  

Xtra fuel tank ideas

Has anyone mounted a spare tank on your RMZ450. I have an 08 and want to keep the stock tank, but mount a spare tank near the side number plate.

The problem you are facing is that the extra tank has to feed into the fuel line before the pump which is fixed in the bottom of the tank, this means that there are two things you can do 1, buy an IMS oversize tank or 2, rig up some sort of connection into the breather or cap from a number board type accessory tank and either use it with a tap or gravity fed. hope this helps a bit.

What about an extra tank that I just strap to the bike and manually fill the current tank. Any recommendations ? I am getting about 48 miles on the current 1.6 gal tank. Trying to carry enough for 75 miles, so about 1 xtra gallon.

Best bet is the IMS tank, i have one and it fits fine and the bike is no more bulky to ride, keep an eye on Ebay and you might pick one up cheap. The front number board tanks may work if you want to fill whilst riding. Try below for ideas, the last page is where you need to be i think. another alternative is to use a Dakar type tank that could be unclipped to fill the main tank But if you really want to get serious discard the RMZ fuel pump and use an external unit and route as many tanks to it as you like (using a pump of the same volumetric flow rate and voltage can be powered by the current power source).

number platre and rear fender types:- http://www.acerbis.it/images/cat/pdf/lo/17_fueltanks.pdf

Dakar tank ideas:- http://www.dakar101.com/bike/

If you don't want to change anything permanent to the bike: two sodabottles with give you one gallon extra fuel, combined with Sweetcheeks. Works like a charm! Somewhere I have a video on this.