Sign in to follow this  

Are Valves to loose

Rebuilding my 2006kx450f and had a question about how loose is to loose for valves?

Put new exhaust and intake valves.Seats and guides checked by a good mechanic and checked good. When checking valve clearance on the intake both sides checked a little loose with a 2.40mm shim(.17mm). Had one 2.45 shim installed in one side left the 2.40 in the other. The 2.45 checked pefect.

Do you think I should just ride it a couple hour and recheck to see if the loose valve closed up?

Thanks for the support.

The shims being different thickness is not an issue very common for them to be different.

I dont think your clearance is going to change after a short riding time. If it was mine I would go ahead and get the proper shim.

But I would still check it after a few hours riding with everything being new to be on the safe side.

Thanks for the input Tapkawiman. You are correct just put the right shims in and be done with it. Kinda bummed that my shim kit quits at 2.40mm and already spent over $600.00 on the rebuild. Good news is it started on the second kick.

I have been in that situation where the aftermarket shim kits put you either right in the middle of the spec or .001" too loose. When I have a choice I put them on the loose side. You will not notice the difference and it will be that much longer before you need to shim again. As far a how loose is too loose depends what your after. If you stay within 2 to 3 thousandths of the spec you'll be ok.

already spent over $600.00 on the rebuild.
That price sounds about right. Was that for the piston kit, 4 valves, guides, timing chain and some gaskets?

Numroe,

Sorry for the late reply. I had to go to China for a week for work and did not get a chance to get to the internet.

Yes it was all the gaskets, piston, rings,timing chain, 4 valves, valve seals, piston pin and a brake lever I bent at the last HS. No valve guides did not need them.

I don't reply or post alot of question but notice you do and read alot of your replies. You know your Kawis.

Happy Trails,

John