Sign in to follow this  

Broken union breather

So, was reassembling the bike today and went to put in the union breather I ordered. When I looked I realized that it wasn't just missing, it had broken off....

Thoughts on how to get that out so I can put the new one in?

Unionbreather.jpg

I had to do 2 of these. You'll have to remove cylinder and PV cover. Hit the spot up with a torch for a couple minutes. Now with a small punch carefully drive it from the inside out.

I had to do 2 of these. You'll have to remove cylinder and PV cover. Hit the spot up with a torch for a couple minutes. Now with a small punch carefully drive it from the inside out.

dang.... just reassembled the whole thing. Hopefully if I'm careful I wont need to replace an gaskets...

Thanks for the info.. what a pain in the a$$

dang.... just reassembled the whole thing. Hopefully if I'm careful I wont need to replace an gaskets...

Thanks for the info.. what a pain in the a$$

Well if you think you can get at it without removing the cylinder.....

I just did it the next time I did a top end. It will just get splooge on top of the PV area there. And when you wash it you'll want to throw a piece of duct tape over that hole.

Well if you think you can get at it without removing the cylinder.....

I just did it the next time I did a top end. It will just get splooge on top of the PV area there. And when you wash it you'll want to throw a piece of duct tape over that hole.

So I can run it as is without damaging anything? I'd rather do it when I do the top end.... but this one is brand new, so 20-30 hours.

I was worried something might work its way in there and ruin something else.

Here's a trick for you known to work. Screw a wood screw inside the breather. Heat area with torch and attempt to pull out. Only IF is if the screw breaks the breather is now plugged and you HAVE to drive it out.

• Like 1

So I can run it as is without damaging anything? I'd rather do it when I do the top end.... but this one is brand new, so 20-30 hours.

I was worried something might work its way in there and ruin something else.

I wouldn't worry unless you were riding in lots of sand or deep bogs.

When it's running pressure is always pushing out.

I wouldn't worry unless you were riding in lots of sand or deep bogs.

When it's running pressure is always pushing out.

I ride in AZ.... sand washes make up at least 50% of each trail I ride.

Wood screw idea sounds like it might be worth trying..I'm guessing if I'm careful and pull straight up the screw should tear out before it breaks off...

Thanks for the suggestion.

• Like 1

I ride in AZ.... sand washes make up at least 50% of each trail I ride.

Wood screw idea sounds like it might be worth trying..I'm guessing if I'm careful and pull straight up the screw should tear out before it breaks off...

Thanks for the suggestion.

Yeah it's worth trying, I've had mixed results, depends how good that ones in there. Problem is, it won't be a very big screw. Get a high quality flooring screw, and as you said, straight up and don't get too ham fisted.

Ran the screw in pretty deep. Heated it up with the torch. Pulled strait up, easy does it.

Worked like a charm!

Unionbreatherfix.jpg

Thanks man, great suggestion! Saved me some time and effort for sure!