Sign in to follow this  

Lighter Clutch ideas??

Hey everyone on my 09 450 my clutch is really heavy and any ideas on making it lighter would be appreciated. The cheaper the better.. but any ideas welcome. Cheers

new clutch cable, and a honda perch and lever could help. Ive got an 09 too and the clutch pull isnt bad, but it could be better.

I cut the actuator arm in half, added a piece to lenghten it and welded it back together. Clutch pull is very light now. I had tried everything before that with no improvement.

I cut the actuator arm in half, added a piece to lenghten it and welded it back together. Clutch pull is very light now. I had tried everything before that with no improvement.

How much did you lengthen it?

Thanks.

Thanks, I will give it a try. Still debating on whether to spend the money on the expensive asv or works connection clutch perch deals. My friends KX and YZ 450's stock clutch pull is so much easier than my rmz's, it makes me wonder why I'm having to go to these lengths just to get what they have right from the factory. You would think someone from suzuki would feel a competitors clutch and think if they (yamaha, kawasaki) can do it, we should make it happen too, especially considering what these bikes cost new these days.

We have the same willingness for RMX owners, (a friend of mine did it but i dont have seen his bike yet).....instead to spend $$$ with hydraulic ! could you ad a pic of this mods. just for example :busted:

++1 this is done by ALL rmz450 owners in my area

I would like to see a picture as well. sounds like soomething i oculd have doen if it comes to this. question- why the honda perch?

imagejpeg_2_2.jpg

Here is the best picture I could get. I cut it in half, put a piece under the two and welded them together from the top. I hooked a tape measure on the back where the cable hook is and it measured 1 11/16" to the front. That is about as long as you can get it without it hitting a case bolt. I painted it to prevent rust when I was done. I put a Honda clutch perch on because I had one from my old CRF. I'm not sure if the lever ratio is different or not but I think the perches are universal. Hope this helps.

imagejpeg_2_2.jpg

Here is the best picture I could get. I cut it in half, put a piece under the two and welded them together from the top. I hooked a tape measure on the back where the cable hook is and it measured 1 11/16" to the front. That is about as long as you can get it without it hitting a case bolt. I painted it to prevent rust when I was done. I put a Honda clutch perch on because I had one from my old CRF. I'm not sure if the lever ratio is different or not but I think the perches are universal. Hope this helps.

Looks good, looks like you took your time and did it right.

Just a quick question, I have a 05 and noticed that you have extra piece of metal and bolt on the lower piece if the unit. Sorry not sure what it is called but it looking like it hold it in place and keeps it from moving side to side.

Nonetheless I was looking at my bike and I don’t have that. I have ASV pro series lever but my clutch pull is super easy I love it. I’m wondering if that extra piece is part of the reason the lever pull feels so heavy. Could it be rubbing causing extra friction resulting in a heaver pull. I could be wrong and correct me if I am but just a thought.

DO NOT run a Honda/Universal Perch and lever on a Suzuki!! Suzuki's have their own leverage ratio and a Honda perch will not allow the clutch to fully disengage.. Which will lead to transmission trouble down the road!!

imagejpeg_2_2.jpg

Thanks for this tip....Should be a stickie!

I just did this and boy does 4.8mm make a big difference. The clutch pull now is like butter!

A great mod!...I'm a tad on the long side so there's just a slight rubbing, but it's still great...I may just file it down a tad or put something in between.