Sign in to follow this  

Should I go larger? Pros,Cons?

I have a 400e and looking to go larger to maybe a 600 or 650 and had my 400e for 2 years,its all modded up nicely.What benefits will I get if I go larger other be able to cruise the highway,or can I still keep the 400 and just change the sprockets,I don't want to change to a pure street bike,any opinions,tips?

:thumbsup:

Look at what type of riding you do mostly and make your decision based on that...It's usually the case that a larger capacity bike will be better suited for highway use , but is going to be a handful in off road..

You say that you have your E "modded up nicely"...think deep about moving onto another bike,...you may or may not regret losing a ride that you have......often the grass looks greener on the other side, but when you get there , it's not....

Perhaps try some taller gearing and see if that" works for you"....

Thanks Craigo,some good thinking about things is needed,might be moving to a more dirt friendly state anyways.If im by myself on the trails the 400 aint bad to pick up etc,but a 650 shyt!....

Yeah what do you mean by modded up nicely

I have put allot of money into getting it out of the old look,since its a 03,everything except inside piston work,big bore would be a compliment to the aftermarket exhaust,I deff feel the extra power there.But before i tear down the engine and clean and rebuild i meant,should i just trade it before all that work is done to tone it up.It runs great now but wanted to put on a kick start package and bore it out if I decided to keep it.I had the mistake of putting to much money into things and selling it and having to start all over again..But were i live theres allot of high way and over 50-60 mph areas...

Haven't got that far yet,thats why I was thinking of something larger before it got rebuilt down the road.Maybe a 40-60 Dirt-Roard sprockets are at 15/47 my Teraflex rear is killing me on the road,and I just put it on.

Sounds like you are getting a bit of a "Want to ride more on the road thing" going on there..

Why not try going to a 44T rear to bring it in line with SM final gearing and fitting some road/trail tyres on it for a change of style and see how that goes for you...If you throw some more power into the mix ,with perhaps a Big Bore,it will give a much (IMO) better feel to the bike overall..

It is cheaper than up grading to another bike,...:thumbsup:

with 16/41(sm) or 16/44(s) it will cruise very nicely at 70. I rode 14/47 on my dirt wheels on the street for a long time and still hit 65mph highways from time to time but it wasnt very happy. Mostly because i was on fully knobbies. Motor mods(fcr/pipe/cams) really make a big difference in highway style cruising. with 15/42 gearing(sm) or 15/45(s) i still have good grunt off road with mods and can cruise 65-70 no problem. There will always be a trade off though. Thats why i re-gear all the time:) Currently on 14/48(sm). its full on hooligan fun.