Valve neglect?

Sorry, yet ANOTHER post on valve clearance.

My wr250 has 1500 miles on it, maybe 80 - 100 hours (thats a guess). I know that difficulty starting and loss of power are strong signs that valves are going out of spec. my valves were checked at 300 miles, and were good, but have not been checked in 1200 miles.

The bike fires up immediately with e-start, and within 1-3 kicks (usually 1) of kickstarter. Sometimes I can even start bike up with my hand on the kickstarter.... In warm weather the bike starts first kick every time. In cold weather bike stars in maybe 3 kicks.

Being smart says I should check valves. However I seem to have no need to currently. opinions? Thank you.

sorry for the redundancy. Probably get far too many of valve posts.

My 07 WR250 has 3 times the mileage and the valves have never been adjusted.

I wouldn't worry about it.

When it gets hard to start then worry.

Most WR's don't get wrung out like a YZ so they last longer.

Keep the air filter clean and the oil fresh and thing will run forever.

your o7' has over 4500 miles? Lordy, how often do you ride that thing? unfortunately I didnt change the oil filter in 10 oil changes.....finally changed it last week and it was covered in sand and small particles. Horrible. Needless to say from now on, i'm buying full synthetic and a new filter after every ride just to be safe.

Swede73, i think 10 minutes for a first time valve clearance would be awesome. However I have yet to buy calipers, and a torch wrench, and just got done with 400ish in repairs after a crash. Being a college student, i Was hoping to put off spending more money till maybe a few months from now at least, thus, this post. I am becoming increasingly more worried about the valves though. Nothing lasts forever (except a yamaha!). Thanks for the resposes

Checking the valve clearance is easy and all you need is a feeler guage set. You will probably need to shop around a little though to find one that is narrow enough unless you want to modify one.

Also, to the guy that was talking about changing the filter every ride. If you NEED to change the filter after every ride, then there is something else going on and you should find out what that is. If you just want to change it for piece of mind, then you might want to look into one of Scott's performance stainless steel reusable ones.

You don't have to change the oil and filter after every ride, unless every ride is a 5-10 hour ride thru the desert. Change the oil after every 5-10 hours of riding and the filter every other oil change. It doesn't hurt to change it after every ride just not necessary.

With all that being said it seems that with these bike if you stay on top of your maintenance and do everything by the book and then some, the bike seems to blow up. If you neglect it, let the bike sit out in the rain for years, never change the oil but maybe add some after it all leaks out the bike will never die. Weird huh?

I actually kept the oil filter just to remind myself that insides of engines are not always clean. I figure 5 dollars every ride (1 oil filter) is worth the cost of the preventative maintanance.

If you get the Scott's filter every "change" after the 12th is free:thumbsup:

your o7' has over 4500 miles? Lordy, how often do you ride that thing? unfortunately I didnt change the oil filter in 10 oil changes.....finally changed it last week and it was covered in sand and small particles. Horrible. Needless to say from now on, i'm buying full synthetic and a new filter after every ride just to be safe.

Swede73, i think 10 minutes for a first time valve clearance would be awesome. However I have yet to buy calipers, and a torch wrench, and just got done with 400ish in repairs after a crash. Being a college student, i Was hoping to put off spending more money till maybe a few months from now at least, thus, this post. I am becoming increasingly more worried about the valves though. Nothing lasts forever (except a yamaha!). Thanks for the resposes

10 minutes is very optimistic but it really doesn't take long. As long as you have a socket set and a allen wrench (I think it is 5mm) the only thing you need is a set of feeler gauges. Make sure when you buy the feeler gauge set you buy one that starts with very small sizes. With some kits the thinnest you get is .005". I got a set from RMATV with tapered tips that starts at .001" thickness for ten bucks.

Chances are good your valves will be fine but you'll sleep better knowing they are good...and you are better off catching the need for an adjustment sooner than later.