Hill Climbs

Um, stay on gas...

until the front end comes up! :ride:

pick a gear with plenty of power and range, i use 2'nd and if needed i'll shift up or down.. try to stay forward on the bike in attack position. other than that momentum is key! build up plenty of speed, but not too much and if theres a corner on said hill clutch it and slightly turn.. other than that its a lot of cussing and being mad and bulldogging it back down the hill! ?

Start in the highest gear you can pull and downshift as necessary on the way up. Keep it on the pipe and stand up as you go over obstacles...

I guess it depends on the hill though. What some people here consider hill climbs are really not hill climbs...

last guys right, use a lot of clutch. Also i like to put my chest on the seat and my legs off the back like superman. It gives me amazing traction! A little rough on the face when you hit rocks and bumps.

momentum, traction and line choice is what you need.

try and gain as much speed at the base of the hill and try and pick a good line up the hill. when it comes to traction you are either going to be leaning forward over the tank or hanging off the back of the bike, you just have to play it by ear because one hill climb may have sand at the bottom and hard pack and rocks at the top...One thing I have learned is if you know your not going to make it let off the gas and turn the bike right or left as you come to a stop and lean your body uphill so that your bike is sideways on the hill, makes turning around much easier! If your bike starts to bog down clutch it or downshift to keep the motor in the powerband. Practice on smaller hills and work your way up to the hairy ones!

last guys right, use a lot of clutch. Also i like to put my chest on the seat and my legs off the back like superman. It gives me amazing traction! A little rough on the face when you hit rocks and bumps.

This sounds like a good reason to not remove the passenger pegs from dual sports!

Every hill is different, but require the same elements to succesfully reach the top.

1) Proper gear selection and speed at the bottom. Not too fast to be out of control,, but not too slow as to lose momentum before the top.

2) Body position and use of weight. Getting up a long, steep gnar gnar hill will involve shifting weight from front to back and side to side smoothly and with purpose: keeping both wheels on the ground and traction where you need it.

3) Knowing when/how to use the clutch to avoid the front end coming up and bogging out of the powerband. Medium to high revs will get you to the top, if you lose them, anticipate the turnaround and go try again.

I will try this next time out. I hope it'll get me up that gnar hill I haven't been able to make.

A couple of things that are VERY Important!

Look where you want to go, that means the top! Dont fixate on obstacles along the way unless you want to get hung up there.

Momentum is very important, once it is lost you cannot get it back. Try and keep your speed.

Keep these fundamentals in mind and you will make it.