Sign in to follow this  

Which no-fog goggles for prescription glasses

Hello. I recently bought an XR400 and want to start getting also the right equiptment.

So i want to start with the helmet and goggles.

Since i wear prescription glasses, i will need goggles that go over the glasses.

Making a search on the web i saw several ones. But i am between.

1) Oakley L frame

2) Oakley Proven

3) Scott OTG enduro

The 3rd option is kind of expensive though. The "Enduro" version of Scott

seems to have a ventilated visor. Furthermore their visors seems to be expensive.

A really important aspect is to have a Fog-Free visor. So let me know which

one you wear or which one you would suggest.

Thank you.

I've been using the Scotts Voltage X OTG's since 2008 and the only time they fogged up on me was in the rain and I was stopped(no air moving through the goggles) as long as I was moving, they stayed fog free. The other two guys had regular goggles and they were constantly complaining about fogging and they didn't have the OTG type.

i recently purchased scott otg goggles and so far they've been great except for when you have to go really slow or are stopped. they will then begin to fog. otherwise i haven't had any fogging issues in the new england fall so far. it's not my glasses that fogs either, it is the goggles and it clears up quickly once you get up to speed again. we'll see how they work come the other seasons.

It looks that many people on the web seem to wear the Scotts OTG and being satisfied, but no one reported yet the Scotts OTG "Enduro" series that provide more air ventilation.

Normal Scott OTG 87

Scott_Goggles_87OTG.jpg

Enduro series

2008_scott_87_enduro_black_otg.jpg

I believe those holes on the visor should make a difference.

Can the visor also be replaced if scratched/damaged (on the Scotts) ?

Any opinions about the Oakley L frame ? I read some positive reviews on shops, but not that much. But they have half the price of the Scotts .

I've been wearing glasses since I was 5, and dealing with foggage issues since I started riding (not long after that).

In all my experience, this is what I have found works best:

Scott OTG goggles, toss the single pane lens in the trash (or give it to someone you don't like), and replace with a double pane lens of your color/tint choice.(same as a ski goggle lens).

Edit:Looks like the Scott OTG Enduro comes with a double pane lens...about time!:busted:

Now, Prep, prep, prep. Goggle and glasses prep is 99% of the battle against fogging. Good anti fog treatments are key. Treat both the glasses and the lenses, I do a double coating (think the difference between one and two coats of wax on a car), and haven't fogged a lens in years.

I do the same with my paintball masks, and even playing in 90F+ conditions with high humidity, I don't have fogging problems (and I'm the sneaky-crawly-stealthy-through-the-brush-shoot-you-in-the-back-guy).

It looks that many people on the web seem to wear the Scotts OTG and being satisfied, but no one reported yet the Scotts OTG "Enduro" series that provide more air ventilation.

Normal Scott OTG 87

Scott_Goggles_87OTG.jpg

Enduro series

2008_scott_87_enduro_black_otg.jpg

I believe those holes on the visor should make a difference.

Can the visor also be replaced if scratched/damaged (on the Scotts) ?

Any opinions about the Oakley L frame ? I read some positive reviews on shops, but not that much. But they have half the price of the Scotts .

By "visor" do you mean lens?

If so, then yes, they are replaceable. In fact, I replace my lenses multiple times per year, they're not that expensive (cheap compared to trying to see through scratched up damaged lenses).

I just got these not long ago... very happy with them. Much better then single layer ones. Not 100% sure if they will fit over the glasses.

http://ryderseyewear.com/SHORE_POLARIZED_R555_001

I just ordered a set of these too. They have good reviews about not fogging even when stationary in the wet. IMHO this is a very important time as it's when you're stuck in the middle of a massive incline that you keep falling off on and you really don't want the added hassle of goggles fogging.

I'm keen to see how they go.

Thank you chickenhauler. :busted:

Do we know if the Oakley MX L frame has also double pane lens? If yes i might go for it. It is almost half the price of the Scott.

Thank you chickenhauler. :busted:

Do we know if the Oakley MX L frame has also double pane lens? If yes i might go for it. It is almost half the price of the Scott.

I wear the Oakley's over my glasses. They work well and I never have a problem with fogging.

The standard lens is not double pane in those goggles. But you can buy double pane's from oakley in different colors for 25$.

I would go with the Scott's though. But that is because I'm a racer, and I would like the tear off poles on the lens.

I wear the Oakley's over my glasses. They work well and I never have a problem with fogging.

The standard lens is not double pane in those goggles. But you can buy double pane's from oakley in different colors for 25$.

I would go with the Scott's though. But that is because I'm a racer, and I would like the tear off poles on the lens.

Are we maybe talking about difference goggles ?

The Oakley MX L Frame that i am refering to have poles for tear offs.

oakley-l-frame-carbon-fibre-c.jpg

I saw people reporting some fog in humid weather with the Oakleys.

But in the pros of this product is the smaller size compared to the Scotts and the lower price.

Are we maybe talking about difference goggles ?

The Oakley MX L Frame that i am refering to have poles for tear offs.

oakley-l-frame-carbon-fibre-c.jpg

I saw people reporting some fog in humid weather with the Oakleys.

But in the pros of this product is the smaller size compared to the Scotts and the lower price.

I'm talking about those goggles.

Notice the tear off posts are not on the lens like most. In the picture, they look close, but in reality, they further away from the lens.

Those black tear off post hangers pop off very easily as well.

So i finally went for the Oakley L Frame . Ι got them for about 30 Euro, pretty good price compared to the Scott.

I tried them and they are ok. They do close a bit my nose, but once you set them a bit higher they are fine. I had no other googles before, but in comparison with a full face helmet it limits a bit the side view.

All in all, they seem pretty nice for that price, my glasses fit well in there and i had no fogging issues until now. Pretty well vented.

Also after getting a huge stone from my friend while driving, it left a mark but they visor did not brake at all or crack.

Happy buyer ! :bonk:

Get some anti-fog wipes, I've had good success with them, You can find them at wal-mart or any drug store. Just wipe the lens down with it and as long as you don't actually touch the lens with your bare fingers, it should last the whole day.