Sign in to follow this  

Skateboard wheel mod

Ive seen a few supermotos crusin round the hood with skateboard wheels as crash bobbins on the forks and rear swing arm ? I suppose this is a cheaper mod to the traditional R&G or crash bobbins.com.

I have an old skateboard so i can use the wheels lol :ride: just wondering how they are fitted ? and what bolts do i need if anyone has done this help would be appreciated :thumbsup:

You use a length of all thread and whatever bolts/washers will fit with your wheels. Just take em in to home depot to the hardware isle and it becomes pretty clear what you need :thumbsup: I believe I used 1/4" all thread when i did mine.

i used 3/8" threaded rod and went right through each axle. i didnt think anything bigger than 3/8" would fit?

Lucky you already have the wheels. They get expensive when you have to buy all the parts including the wheels.

a buddy of mine picked up some wheels from a local shop for $15 i think.

I ended up doing some machine work on my wheels. I used 3/8" all thread on the back axle and 7/16 on the front(i think). 3/8 would work in both as well. I used flanged nuts and just turned the wheels on the lathe to make clearance for them. On the front right i machined the wheel down a bit to clear the fork leg. You could also space it out. On the back I machined the wheel to fit over the nut mostly but still allow for a cotter pin. I drilled through the 3/8" rod to run a cotter pin through that as well as the axle/castle nut.

i just made a set. for the s or sm it was 3/8" all thread and 7/16" all thread. ill try to snap some pics later.

Yeah awesome man please do :thumbsup:

The 7/16" fits the front axle, but you may need to do some clearancing on the skate wheel to allow a socket to get on the nut. The 3/8" will fit both front & rear, but will be a bit looser in the front. I also used a 19mm head nut as a centering bushing in the right side of the front axle. The one I used was for a M12 bolt, but I think 1/2" is about the same too. The 3/8" all-thread slides right thru, but you'll need to drill the threads if you use a 7/16" in the front.

I didn't read anything about length... How long does the all thread need to be?

Make sure you loctite the nuts on the wheels. I'd hate to see the same thing that happened to me a few weeks ago happen to someone else.

11.5" front, 12.5" rear on my stock SM with 'BONES' brand wheels.

Make sure you loctite the nuts on the wheels. I'd hate to see the same thing that happened to me a few weeks ago happen to someone else.

thanks...i needed that today.

doggie was picking 'em up & putting 'em down

Sorry i didnt measure anything. I just worked on one side then cut and went from there:)

Here is the rear RH. I didnt have to mod the wheels i use(old spitfire) to fit a 3/8" flange nut. I did machine out the back side to fit over the castle nut partially.

PA280037.jpg

You can kind of see the modified cotter pin through the axle here. I made some extra clearance on the wheel, installed the all-thread and cotter pin, then the wheel.

PA280038.jpg

left side was pretty straight forward. I did clearance it a bit to seat over the axle better. You dont need to but i wanted a snug fit.

PA280039.jpg

front left, clearance again to fit over the axle.

PA280040.jpg

also had to clearance the inside for a 7/16 flange nut.

PA280041.jpg

Here was the big mod. You can either space the wheel out or clearance the back like i did to clear the casting for the fork tube.

PA280042.jpg

Also made room for the flange nut.

PA280043.jpg

Shameless tire plug :busted: since i didnt need the sliders last time:)

PA280044.jpg

the track was the first time I have ever been able to use all of a front tire.

PA280046.jpg

:busted:

As much as I love home brew mods, this one has always bugged me. Skate wheels are designed to grip the road, sliders are ment to slide, is this a problem? Is it that much more cash to just buy some proper delrin or whatever material sliders?

As much as I love home brew mods, this one has always bugged me. Skate wheels are designed to grip the road, sliders are ment to slide, is this a problem? Is it that much more cash to just buy some proper delrin or whatever material sliders?

Mine were a last minute decision before a track day. I couldnt get sliders before BUT...

Delrin is a shore D80-90. My skate wheels are close to A100 which isnt much under D80 on the Shore scale. Not all skate wheels are super soft. Typically the larger wheels you will find are softer, but the smaller "trick" wheels will be a little harder and they do often list this from the wheel mfg. Sliders werent required for the track day but it was a piece of mind thing. For me to buy a set would be $100. These were free and i was able to make them in an hour. :busted:

I get what you are saying, but not all skateboard wheels are made the same.

I have the bones STF on my drz and skateboard...they definitely don't grip. The Vortex bar sliders grip more than the wheels and last half as long.

6289867507_40eea73f2d_z.jpg

Skateboard wheels were used before proper slider were available. They may not be the best material but they will work.

11.5" front, 12.5" rear on my stock SM with 'BONES' brand wheels.

I just did a rough measurement of mine on the bike, I think I may be 1/2"-1" longer, but I spaced out some away from the axle. I've got 2 nuts inboard on the right, and 1 nut inboard on the left (both front and rear)

I took some pictures of the right side (you can only see one nut, the other is recessed into the skate wheel.

IMG-20111029-00416.jpg

IMG-20111029-00417.jpg

And it's hard to see here where I clearanced for a socket, used a die grinder w/ a deburring bit:

IMG-20111029-00419.jpg

The main reason I spaced the right side is the left side sticks out further because of how the axles mount.