Sign in to follow this  

gsxr mod?

so i just bought a gsxr 750 can for 40 bucks on ebay and i was about to buy the mid from jessie for another 210 dollars.... somebody tell me why i'm spending $250 on a used can when i can buy a new one for almost that. i just found a super trap on ebay for 189 dollars with a mid pipe. what is so special about the gsxr? i'm thinking about selling the can and buying a very nice looking super trap for 60 dollars less. any thoughts?

I think you need a 1000 can to start with. Not sure about the 750. I just bought this http://www.ebay.com/itm/DG-R-Series-Slip-Exhaust-Pipe-Silencer-Suzuki-DR650SE-dg-02-6500-/200659550798?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item2eb83dc24e to replace my Super Trapp. This is much nicer than the S. Trapp exhaust. No messing around building an exhaust as with the gxr muffler either.

I've heard DR's with different pipes and the GSXR can is by far the best. It has a much much deeper note to it without the loud farty noise that almost every other pipe makes under acceleration.

It sounds far more meaty and growly, whereas the others are more shouty. Apart from that I believe it produces the best power gains as well, though wouldn't be very noticeable between them. As for the midpipe, all you need is some gasket material and to hand the pipe (or a stencil of the opening) to a place that does water jet cutting, they'll cut you a flange for about $50? and then an exhaust shop can custom bend a midpipe and weld everything within an hour. Cheaper and in my case better as I have no clearance issues

I have an '06 that came with a 2 Brothers pipe. Too load for my taste. I got a 35FO GSXR pipe, not the Titanium one, used the 2B midpipe.

Went to Lowes, bought a piece of 1/8" steel plate for $5, drilled 4 holes for the bolts and a 1-7/8 hole in the center, painted it black, got a high temp gasket at Auto zone and bolted it on.

October15201102.jpg

I also have a '90 that came with a Supertrapp. I got another 35FO pipe from Ebay, cut off the exiting midpipe, cut out another metal plate from the same piece as before, welded it on with the $90 welder I got at Harbor Freight, bolted the muffler on.

DSC_0431.JPG

I have an '06 that came with a 2 Brothers pipe. Too load for my taste. I got a 35FO GSXR pipe, not the Titanium one, used the 2B midpipe.

Went to Lowes, bought a piece of 1/8" steel plate for $5, drilled 4 holes for the bolts and a 1-7/8 hole in the center, painted it black, got a high temp gasket at Auto zone and bolted it on.

October15201102.jpg

+1 All of the straight through systems are loud. I had the Q2 on my DR650 after the stock muffler. Just tolerable... but gets louder as it blows out. I had the beautiful TB system on my wife's DR650 when we got it. Way too loud. I bought, to test, both of the DG systems... oval and round. As the video above suggests... Too loud. OK for a MX bike I guess... too darn loud to listen to for very long and you have to go through the PIA of re-packing it fairly often if you'd like to keep the sound from getting even louder and the performance up. And not one of them sound as good as the 40F0 GSXR system IMO. Of course YMMV. :busted:

No repack and light weight are the big wins on the 40F0 can for sure

I picked up a x29G1x from a garage sale for $5. I can't figure out what it came off of though. It's brand new with locktite still on the threads. Anyone know?

"gun boat bazooka special" That's hilarious; and yes, it IS a bazooka! It's very light though. Too big to use on my sp600. Maybe I'll bolt it on there for a good photo op.

Yeah, the form and fit of the 40F0 and 35F0 mufflers is the best over-all size for use on the DR650. I don't know of any other mufflers that match that... cept the Euro/OZ muffler like the 40F1 (I think that's the number they use for the 40F0). I don't know if they have an equivalent to the 35F0.

Edited by mx_rob