Sign in to follow this  

Fuel filters

Do you guys with older XL's use an extra fuel filter? Probably a stupid question but theres not much space between the petcock and the carb inlet for a fuel filter. Just wondering.

I ran one for a while when the internal petcock filter got ripped/trashed on mine. I used an automotive type filter so I'd be sure to have a high flow rate. I mounted it inline a couple of inches downstream from the petcock and had plenty of room. It worked great for the one season I ran it.

After I replaced the petcock filter with a new one, I took it off.

:thumbsup:

After casually researching this question for a little while, it seemed the Yays outweighed the Nays, and I installed one of those clear plastc $3.00 in-line fuel filters from RMATV. I've read some guys saying that they could actually see the gunk being caught in the filter, but I haven't noticed anything myself. It does SEEM like my bike starts a little more slowly since I installed this, but once running, it doesn't impede gas flow at all, and the bike runs as well as it did without it. Since that needle valve can apparantly be affected by the tiniest of particles, well then, (as someone else put it) "this is cheap insurance".

I don't see a downside here. It's a $3 part you'll change annually, so if it saves me from a single carb break-down, it's well worth it. :thumbsup:

Ahhh a shorty! Great idea, thanks!

Agreed :busted: This seems to be a more practical design, given the cramped space, than the one I'm using ( seen in the following link).

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/productDetail.do?navType=type&webTypeId=60&navTitle=Filters&webCatId=27&prodFamilyId=3769

(But,again,so far I'm still happy with the RMATV filter.)