Odometer problem

After about 40 miles on my new 450X, my odometer stopped working. Anyone have this happen? I took it off today and removed the two screws on the bottom, however, I was unable to separate the two pieces. I lubed what I could and re-installed it, making sure the cable was plenty tight on both ends. Any ideas? Thanks.

You've possibly chewed out the drive gear on the hub that drives the cable to your speedo. As a quick check you could remove the cable and spin the front wheel and see if it turns although this won't be conclusive as you won't be spinning it as quick as when your're riding. If this is the case I would replace it with one of the Trail Tech units as these are a magnetic pickup. Don't know why in this day and age they didn't install this type of unit originally because the speedo itself is quite good having all the functions you need. I know on my model which is an 06 you can't buy the plastic gear (in Australia) so you have to buy the whole housing which is about $100. Ultimately a waste of money as it will go again.