Sign in to follow this  

Making Money with Dirt Bikes

Hi everybody,

I am pretty new to bikes as some of you may know. I have become very passionate about bikes though and I was just wondering if there is any way to make money with dirt bikes that you guys would suggest. I am just looking for something fun to do part time right now.

I have been seriously thinking about buying some bikes this winter, as prices seem to fall off when it is cold out. I would buy inexpensive, but under priced bikes in need of very little to no work. I would then resell them in the spring. I know an individual can only sell 5 vehicles in a year without a dealer license and I would not excede this limit. I also want to point out that I would not rip people off by over pricing the bikes when I sold them.

Any opinions and suggestions on this idea would be greatly appreciated as well as any other ideas that you think may work.

Thanks!

Its a great idea but there are alot of guys around doing the same thing. Any bike that you can sell for under 2500 bucks is always a great deal for someone. If you can buy it for 1000, put a couple 100 into it and then sell it, your in a great postion. Again, you have to have cash in hand, ready to buy because those great deals dont last long. Also, not every bike you buy your going to make money. Try to aim for 500 or better per bike, anything less then that and your wasting you time, and time is money! Dont forget to add things like cost of travel to go look at the bike. Many people over look the true cost of things.

That's really encouraging! Thanks! I'm sorry you didn't get the 50. I just barely missed a few bikes when I was looking for my first bike. One of them was a 1998 CR125 for $450 that only needed a clutch lever. It sold a few hours before I was going to look at it. That really stung.

I have a quick question for you (or anyone else) about the Z50s. I am sure it is pretty dumb - but why are these old 50cc bikes so valuable? Are they rare or just excellent bikes? Or some other reason?

Thanks!

Thank you for the suggestions guys. I would be looking to buy only bikes that were selling at low prices and were also in high demand. Most of these would probably be older bikes but I would look for popular styles like the Honda CR series, etc.

I really appreciate the help!

keep in mind most people the flip bikes dont make a ton of cash and usually do it because its fun to buy restore ride then sell.

keep in mind most people the flip bikes dont make a ton of cash and usually do it because its fun to buy restore ride then sell.

That is really all I am looking to do at this point. :thumbsup: If I like it I may find a way to move up from there.

ride it really fast! or jump it high and hang off the back! that will make the money. sorry couldn't resist...

fliping bikes can work but it takes lots of work to find the deals, scanning craigslist all day everyday till you find a smokin deal then jumping on it asap. unless you stumble across a deal but that doesn't happen everyday either...

with the right deal and right bike you can make good profit on ebay parting out bikes and that way you can part out as many as you want and don't have to deal with the dmv so much...

but with either way you have to consider all the time finding the bike, rebuilding it or striping it, drive time and gas to get the bike, oils/cleaning fluids, tools, know-how, shipping charges on new parts, gas for you to go back and for the the shop for parts, and anything else involved with getting your money back. is it all worth it? what is the real profit after all is said and done? just doing it for fun?

you can fix your lazy friends bikes too but they usually pay with beer unless they have money falling out of thier pockets.

That is really all I am looking to do at this point. :thumbsup: If I like it I may find a way to move up from there.

Thats the best way to approach any small business--- find something you love to do and then figure out a way to make a living doing it

Kind of depends on a number of factors --- your age, your existing bills, all that stuff ---

---- If you are young and don't have a ton of overhead, buy a couple of old 125's and give it a whirl ---- it may turn into something bigger

---- I don't think fixing up barn and shed finds into "rider quality" machines will net you much money after you factor in your shop time, but i may be wrong

----- you mentioned Z50's though so i will divert my thought process there- i think there is a market to professionally restore machines like that. The barn find Z50 you pick up for $200 bucks you may be able to get $2000 for - granted , for 2k, it will have to look the part and will take a lot of labor, but i think the potential profit is possibly a lot more than "flipping" a '92 RM125 after you clean the carb and replace some plastic (just an example)

Other bikes , like Hodakas , were wildly popular in the 70's and early 80's and now --- 40 and 50-something year old dudes want a cherry Dirt Squirt or Road Toad to display in their garage, but don't really have the time to do it themselves

I am a 40 year old guy, and i can testify that it would be a lot easier for me to come up with 3 grand to pay somebody to restore my race bike from 1983 than it is for me to come up with the time to do it myself ----:worthy:

--- figure out a way to market your skills to fartknockers like myself who do more harm than good in the garage and you may start to turn a tidy profit :ride:

I also want to point out that I would not rip people off by over pricing the bikes when I sold them.

If you're selling them private, you're going to get a whole butt load of trades and OBOs. Which aren't bad, but what I'm saying is, you can't sell it for anymore then someone's willing to pay for it.

I've done the same thing as you, bought a couple older bikes, fixed them up, really easy when you know what you're doing, and sold 'em for a few dollars more.

Don't look at "classics" (unless it's a real nice one..), look at what sells in your area. I've tried to sell my classic CR250, but have had zero luck at the price I wanted.

When I sold my KE (the farm bike, I live in a rural area) it sold within 2 hours of it being posted, for more then I asked for.

Also, you have to know what you're getting yourself into. You know how troubleshoot? You know how to do top-ends? Crankcase bearings? Tire change? Know what a bike needs just by riding it? And how to clean all the spooge, grime and rust?

Learn how to fix a motorcycle with a cheap bike.

Also make sure you get a bike that still has the majority of parts available. 1983 is the oldest I'd go. And 1986 is starting to get pretty old. But generally the late 80's are fine.

Late 90's are great if you can snap a new top end in along with new tires, filters, fresh gas, oil, grips, Novus for the plastics, and chain/sprocket. They will sell quick with that treatment.

Good luck bro. :thumbsup:

Oh by the way, I'm not sure if I mentioned this, it is getting late...

But know how to BUY a bike in the first place. Buy something restore-able, you want something for a cheap price, from an owner that doesn't know anything about bikes, and/or doesn't have money/time to fix it.

The other thing you do before you buy a bike is look up every part it's going to need that the seller mentions in the ad/seen in pictures and calculate how much it's going to be.

Then go to NADA/KBB and find out the very general value of restoring it, and also check listings for the similar bikes in your area.

You should be good to go from there.

i honest to god have no clue why z50's are so expensive...might be limited importation from japan in the 60's and 70's or maybe it's the fact that they were abused and when they didn't run they tossed it to the curb. truth be told no clue, a good guess would be one of those though!

twistedkeys,

I am in the process of learning how to troubleshoot and fix bikes. I have done some minor repair work to my KE100 and now have it running very well. I am also getting a CR 125 on Saturday that is in need of a new top end as well as a TRX 125 that needs work. I view these as practice and they are a nice trial run because if I fix them and cannot sell them for a profit they are things I would be more than happy to keep. I am getting both of them for $450 so I think it is a good deal and worth a shot.

yamahablue22,

That's very interesting about the Z50s. You make a good point in the fact that they were probably abused and trashed.

Thanks everybody for the help and suggestions!

Yes, you can make money with bikes. My dad and I buy and sell stuff on craigslist allll the time, from backhoes to bulldozers to mowers to dirt bikes to anything. We've got a '97 Ford F350 7.3l, 8' bed, 20k towing capacity, and a huge tri-axle flatbed gooseneck trailer. Not many people can pick up the kinda stuff we do, so when gets the deals first.

I do bikes with my own money, started by buying a "non-running" (petcock was off) TTR125 for $200, 5 bikes later I have a '05 CRF250X without putting any money in :busted:. But you need a few things:

1. A truck and cash. The #1 thing you need to have power in negotiation.

2. Ability to negotiate. For me this is one of the most fun parts, I love a good negotiation :busted:. Don't get attached to it, be willing to walk away.

3. Skills/tools/place to fix a broken/non-running bike.

4. Ability to sell it, quickly and painlessly when you want to.

5. Understand that you make your money when you buy things, not when you sell them.

I have been doing CL stuff for years and its awesome. Especially the exhilaration when you find an awesome deal that's not sold, negotiating, getting it home, getting it running, ride it, make it look nice, sell it, buy something better, etc.

Best of luck!!

Z50's are simply an icon. It was unchanged in many ways for all the years it was produced, particularly the motor. They can handle a rider up to 200lbs, and the CT70 and 110 motors are pretty much bolt in replacements.

Basically, all of us that grew up in the 70's probably knew somebody that had one, or had one ourselves. Personally I can still meet the weight requirements so I bought a 1978 a few years ago. They live forever!

But pretty much it's the 67 Mustang of motorbikes to me. Before Mustang's went way off the deep end in price. It's just damn cool to own, or ride.

http://www.z50power.com/

http://www.miniriders.com/z-minis/

http://www.monkeybike.co.uk/

The aftermarket accessory market for dirtbikes is huge! If you have fab skills there are all sorts of accessories you can make and sell. From racks, skidplates, and bags, to whatever!!! That's the route I'm persuing, check out my website at www.moto-mule.com I make some things I'm quite proud of!

The aftermarket accessory market for dirtbikes is huge! If you have fab skills there are all sorts of accessories you can make and sell. From racks, skidplates, and bags, to whatever!!! That's the route I'm persuing, check out my website at www.moto-mule.com I make some things I'm quite proud of!

i'd be proud of that stuff too! that trailer is quite the interesting idea! thought about maybe a rack for the guys who use their bikes to do forest work? so you could mount a chainsaw a can of gas and a small axe? if i could turn my bike street legal here i would definately buy that trailer though...

That trailer is really a great idea!! Nice work :busted::busted:

MrBracket,

That's some really cool stuff you've got! I never thought about building accessories. That's a really cool idea. Thanks for the idea!

I really appreciate all the suggestions and ideas you guys have given me. Thank you.