2000 DRZ400 idle problems/hesitation

2000 DRZ 400 with Baja kit to make it street legal (I'm in Kauai). It has an FMF powercore IV pipe, K&N filter, and I assume the carbs were jetted to match the pipe. (the local dealer said it wouldn't run well if it wasn't)

I don't know if it is an S or E model (how can I tell?)

I've had the bike for about a year, it was running great when I parked it in March. I drained the carbs before I parked it.

Started it back up in May (it sat for 3 months) and started up no problem, but it started to hesitate on initial acceleration after changing gears. It wasn't a big deal so I kept on riding it and the condition has slowly gotten worse.

My friend took the carb apart, as I suspected it could have clogged jets, but everything looked fine. He adjusted the float bowl height, as it was a little off spec. It still hesitates when I accelerate after changing gear, usually around 5500 RPM. It runs great on full throttle, but sputters on half throttle above 5000 RPM.

It now has a hard time idling. Struggles to idle around 1100 RPM and dies. The bike has a hard time starting when it's warm now.

Any input is greatly appreciated. :thumbsup:

2000 DRZ 400 with Baja kit to make it street legal (I'm in Kauai). It has an FMF powercore IV pipe, K&N filter, and I assume the carbs were jetted to match the pipe. (the local dealer said it wouldn't run well if it wasn't)

I don't know if it is an S or E model (how can I tell?)

I've had the bike for about a year, it was running great when I parked it in March. I drained the carbs before I parked it.

Started it back up in May (it sat for 3 months) and started up no problem, but it started to hesitate on initial acceleration after changing gears. It wasn't a big deal so I kept on riding it and the condition has slowly gotten worse.

My friend took the carb apart, as I suspected it could have clogged jets, but everything looked fine. He adjusted the float bowl height, as it was a little off spec. It still hesitates when I accelerate after changing gear, usually around 5500 RPM. It runs great on full throttle, but sputters on half throttle above 5000 RPM.

It now has a hard time idling. Struggles to idle around 1100 RPM and dies. The bike has a hard time starting when it's warm now.

Any input is greatly appreciated. :ride:

What are the current jetting settings? If you read the left side of the steering in-between the headlight and the forks it should say next to the vin e or s model...I believe you probably have an e since you said it didn't have lights to begin with...as for carb(s) there's only one (I hope :thumbsup:) lol. But in all seriousness jetting settings would be important.

Dump the fuel and add some fresh..Replace the pilot jet..

Get your friend to remove the carb for you and Check what jets are installed...If it's got a jet kit the needle will have adjustment grooves(clip positions) in the upper half...

What size is the inlet on top of the airbox ?

Edited by CraigoDRZ400sm
text error..

thanks guys i will get back to you with the jetting info
cheers
What was the issue?