Sign in to follow this  

Who has switched from 450 to 250-2stroke?

Hey guys, I am just curious. I have been racing and riding yz450's since the first (03). I just sold my 06 yz450 and my 08 yz450, however I am keeping the 03. the 03 is just sooo powerful and I have put too much money in it to ever sell it.

Anyway back to the question. I have been wanting a yz250 to rip around on and I would like to hear how happy you other transplants are since switching.

I am quite sure I am going to buy a newer one anyways, but I just want to hear your thoughts:ride:

Edited by crayztwentyseven
bad grammar

hey not sure if its comparible but i went from a wr400 to a yz 250, absolutely love it, love the power/weight/handling, would never ever go back also love the cost effective maintance. all depends what your using it for though, i mostly ride bush stuff:ride: plus you can turn it into a 300 if you wanted:thumbsup:

i also grew up on two strokes, yam 50, then rm85, cr125, then kx220. The last time I owned a two smoke it was a 1998. I think its time for a change. I miss the lightweight and cheap maintenence of them the most I think. Also the smell!!

hey not sure if its comparible but i went from a wr400 to a yz 250, absolutely love it, love the power/weight/handling, would never ever go back also love the cost effective maintance. all depends what your using it for though, i mostly ride bush stuff:ride: plus you can turn it into a 300 if you wanted:thumbsup:

I also transitioned from a WR400 to a YZ 250. Believe it or not, I was lugging around the WR400 to MX tracks, and that's where the choice to get a YZ 250 came from.

Even with my YZ 250 setup for a bit more on the bottom, the difference in riding approaches was immediate. I've got to carry more speed on the YZ 250, and definitely have to keep an eye on where I am in the powerband. On the WR400 I could be damn near anywhere, as long as I wasn't at the rev limiter it would pull like it aught to!

By the end of a single day at my usual stomping ground though I was right back to where I'd gotten on the WR400, and was hitting jumps just as fast and carrying speed just as good as I always had.

PROS:

-Weights less

-Less maintenance in theory

-Quick maneuvering

Lessons learned:

-Gotta think a lot more, and keep it on the pipe.

-Jumping can be interesting if you're not quite 100% used to being on the pipe.

-If you go too tall in gearing to tone down the hit (as suggested by some) you'll find your shifts can sometimes take you a bit further out of the powerband than you desired. It tends to happen at the worse times (approaching a jump) so you're either not in the power band and jumping, or suddenly hit the power band. I'll be going to a correct sprocket size next purchase for sure, and definitely not advocating for this to anyone riding a 250 for MX for the first time.

-The jetting is ungodly important on a two stroke. If you're too rich on the bottom it doesn't just run bad, it'll build up oil and run worse as time goes on unless you "wring it out". Two strokes are a whole different world!

Cons:

-I'm pretty sure every penny I save on lower maintenance is going into friggen pre-mix and increased fuel consumption. It'll be a wash in the end on savings.

-Holy giant pipe right in the worse of places for crashing on the trail. A four stroke is a fair bit more buttoned up and easy to protect.

Edited by Jnicola

I've been racing YZ 250's since 98' and went to a KX450F in 09' to try something different. Each has there own place but nothing beats a 2 stroke for the fun factor. I'll keep the 450 for the ice with the EFI to make it easy for winter jetting but I'm going back too a YZ 250 for racing next year.

I raced GNCC's for yrs on a two stroke. Then I went with a WR 426 then a KTM 450, then back to a KTM 250 two smoker. when I went back to the 2t I was about 1-2 minutes a lap quicker and I had plenty more stamina at the end of the race. And, not to mention a boatload more money in my pocket when I had to rebuild the bike.... I paid $1400 to rebuild the KTM 450 and $350 to rebuild the two smoker..... I think i am gonna stick with the smoker for sure...

Must say once again i had 3 450's crf r and and x and now gone back to a smoker..........................Miss the even Power for wheelies etc but what i love is my bills,Weight factor,Dash of crazy,most of all is i work the bike so clutch,gears,etc get used to the full and whilst doing crazy stuff and thats whats cool.........................You gotta think when your on it. My son has the 450 now and i still get the odd taste of it ........My next ride is a 300 2 smoker without a doubt.

Best ringy goes to the 2 smokers

Best bike long power slides (like in speedway) goes to the 4 bangers

Best jumps .........................Both r good mind you not my expertise

Best starting bikes have to be the smokers (Like any bike in good running condition) but What about after an off and the bikes laying around ? mmmmm Go the 2 banger

Best wheelies 4 Banger IMHO

Gas Guzzlers go to the 2 Bangers

Biggest smiles 2 Smokers

best travelling bike must be a 2 banger (lay it down and put it on its side for travel without any worry)

Biggest savings wallet wise 2 Bangers

as for people saying you have to buy 2 stroke oil and thats expensive ? you got oil filters and engine oil to supply ,

For me i have the 2 stroke and i know on those rides the boys all love following that 2 smoker smell just has them Dance :ride::thumbsup::worthy:

Regards Dazza

Edited by dazza1968

I went back to the smoker last year after many years riding and racing Honda crf450s which I thought were the best bike out there. I just was getting bored and wanted to switch it up. Bought an 08 YZ250 for cheap and now I don't see myself going back to a thumper any time soon. I race off-road and practice MX and this bike can do both very well. So much easier to maneuver around, starts super easy which is a big plus for dead engine starts, has plenty of power. I put on a rekluse clutch and it is litterally feels like I'm cheating when I go riding with buddies off road.

So if your going to keep your old 450 I would definatelly say get a two stroke and you'll have both to play with. But I guarantee that you will spend more time on that smoker just because it is more fun.

I went from an 05 wr450 to a yz250 for racing desert. That yz is fun, fun, fun.

I first had an 01 yz that I got cheap to see if I would like it. It was great. Suspension was surprisingly tunable, engine was snappy, and so light feeling that it was incredible. Sold the 01 yz and got an 05 yz250 and set up for offroad racing as well.

but earlier this year, I went back to racing a 450, this time a KTM450.

that yz is different. Not better, not worse, just different. The good side is the light weight and insane throttle response. The down side is the light weight and the insane throttle response. In a desert race, the terrain is simply rough with very few smooth spots. The lighter bike dances and bounces all around for 80 miles. The heavier bike holds it line and feels plush. When I am dead ass tired, I wanted the bike to hold a line better without me having to adjust constantly. The snappy throttle,while fun, got me into trouble in enduros and the more technical rides that I like to do. It takes a lot of clutch work ( a lot!) to keep those bikes under control in technical terrain. I did have a rekluse, which made it easier, but it was still a lot of work.

After three years of fun, I sold the bike and bought the ktm450xcf, which is a great bike. Its almost as light as the yz250 with much better low speed manners and I don't have to shift and clutch constantly. I think it suits my riding style perfectly.

If I were you, I'd get a yz250 (They are cheap) but not sell the yz450. Having both of those bikes is like having two women to ride. (a fat one and a skinny one LOL)

btw... I am currently looking to acquire another 2 stroke to replace the one that I never should have sold too begin with. While I don't like to race it personally, I would love to have it for when I'm not racing. So what does that tell you?

Edited by mauricedorris

I went back to a YZ250, an 2006. Came off a 2006 yz 450. I do miss the torque, but sure like the way I can throw the bike around.

Main reasons that I switched back to a 2 stroke were the more responsive power and the fact that it will not stall until I come to a complete stop. Both my 250f and 450 would have the dreaded flame-out at the worst times. My eg295 easily runs just above idle while climbing boulders in the mountain ST.

Cons:

-I'm pretty sure every penny I save on lower maintenance is going into friggen pre-mix and increased fuel consumption. It'll be a wash in the end on savings.

I hate to say it, but it's psychotically comforting :busted: when you hear of someone's 4t taking a $2000 engine grenade. It helps ease your wallet as you shell out stupid cash for your gas guzzling pre-mix drinking bike. It's a subtle reminder you probably own your 2t outright, and won't have to go finance a new bike outta nowhere when the top end blowz. Other buddies have "nice" scrap metal carcass 4t's in their garage, suddenly become a parts broker, and I didn't want to be next in line.

So yeh....2t's rule and I remind myself this even when paying almost triple for fuel/mix/economy.

Had a WR450 for 12 months - went back to a 2T 250 and am loving it!

I figure the cost of running premix in the 2T is simply balancing the cost of a new oil filter and engine oil every 500kms needed for the 4T.

But the time taken to add some premix to couple of a tank loads of fuel is much, much less than what is needed to do a complete filter and oil change on a 4T, so that is a big plus for me!

I can give you a strictly MX perspective. I grew up on 2 strokes, started racing 4 strokes in 03, both 450 and 250F's. Went back to a 2 stroke 3 years ago because I was tired of scheduling my playrides around my bike maintenance. I mainly race, but occassionaly my buddies want to go play ride and sometimes I would back out because if it was dusty I did not want to clean my air filter, or I did not want to change my oil again. You have to be religious about maintaining a 4 stroke if you want to keep them in top shape. I never had one grenade on me, probably because I maintained it well.

As for the racing, I am about 1-2 seconds a lap slower on my 2 stroke, but I have way more fun. I have to admit that sometimes I get the idea to get a 4-stroke again so I can pass a few more guys, but then I think of the maintenance and the fact that I still won't be the fastest one on the track and I change my mind. Bottom line for me: if you race to win (in MX), you need a 4-stroke. If you race to have fun, ride a 2-stroke.

I sold my 08 YZ450 a couple of months ago and purchased a 99 YZ250. I can honestly say that I have way more fun on the 250. I ride in AZ and the terrain ranges from sand washes, to nasty single track to high speed doulbe track and the 250 is better in some places and takes a little more work in others. I also like the fact that I have less than $1100 into the bike and I can hang with my riding buddies who are solid B riders.

I had my 250 first then bought an 03 450 for a second bike. I still have the 250 and sold the 450. The 450 is better for the track but worthless in the tight woods. Reasons-Hard to start, boiling over, tall 1st gear, 4 speed tranny. The 250 does everything well.

P.S. I do miss the all around smooth power of the 03 450.

I hate to say it, but it's psychotically comforting :busted: when you hear of someone's 4t taking a $2000 engine grenade. It helps ease your wallet as you shell out stupid cash for your gas guzzling pre-mix drinking bike. It's a subtle reminder you probably own your 2t outright, and won't have to go finance a new bike outta nowhere when the top end blowz. Other buddies have "nice" scrap metal carcass 4t's in their garage, suddenly become a parts broker, and I didn't want to be next in line.

So yeh....2t's rule and I remind myself this even when paying almost triple for fuel/mix/economy.

Been there done that. i've owned 1 450f and it blew up so i learned my lesson. i'm never going to own another thumper again. i also know people that have had no issues with them. i just had bad luck with mine so never again