Sign in to follow this  

Buying a sprocket/chain set

Hey guys, this is the first time I've decided to replace the final drive on my bike, mostly because I stripped all the teeth off my original-from-1986 sprocket.

Anyway, I have a few questions, and I'm too lazy/busy to research all of them separately.

1. Do I want more top end, or more low end? I climb a lot, but I also drive a lot if you know what I mean?

2. Do I want a set, or separate parts?

3. I know chains are universal, are sprockets? Most websites ask for my bike to match parts, obviously since it's an '86 it never comes up with anything. In other words, they won't let me purchase it unless it matches my bike....

4. Should I get a colored one? Or are those gay if the entire bike isn't pimped out?

5. Will I need a link-tool, or can I do it with the tools I have around?

It would be a HUGE help if someone could give me a little advice, I might just sell it how it is because I don't have time to look these things up..

1. Do I want more top end, or more low end? I climb a lot, but I also drive a lot if you know what I mean?

Depends what do you have problems with now?

dosent matter depends what you can get for the best price

3. I know chains are universal, are sprockets? Most websites ask for my bike to match parts, obviously since it's an '86 it never comes up with anything. In other words, they won't let me purchase it unless it matches my bike....

count the teeth on your shaft and match it to a existing model

4. Should I get a colored one? Or are those gay if the entire bike isn't pimped out?

who cares, if just means something more to clean imo

most chains use a snap in master so you are good in that area

Depends what do you have problems with now?

dosent matter depends what you can get for the best price

count the teeth on your shaft and match it to a existing model

who cares, if just means something more to clean imo

most chains use a snap in master so you are good in that area

Thanks bro, that helps a lot!

Also does anyone know what years were used for the rear sprocket? And are they only used for the CR250, or can I use 125s, 450, etc.?

And, I don't know if I already listed this (it's getting rather late).

But I read that you need a chain breaker? I though it would be the same exact size without any problem if you got the same size chain and gear? But apparently it's going to be a few links too long anyway?

Can someone explain this to me?