Sign in to follow this  

Gunk on my Megabomb header, how do I take it off?

So a friend of mine fell and landed on the side of my bike. He burnt his jersey sleave on my megabomb, now there is gunk or burnt jersey on it. How can I take that off? Do I start the bike in order for the header to get hot, then take it off with a rag or wet towel?

Need advice.

Thanks.

id use those green scouring pads (scoth brite pads i think) and a bit of soap, that what i use on my ti pipe

id use those green scouring pads (scoth brite pads i think) and a bit of soap, that what i use on my ti pipe

I tried that, but this stuff is burnt on there pretty good. I almost want to scrape it off with a razor, but Im affraid of damaging the header. I have a feeling it will soften up if I heat up the header first then somehow try to wipe that stuff off.

If that doesn't work, or if it threatens to scratch the surface, go to your nearest hardware store and purchase #00000 steel wool. It comes in a small "bale" in a plastic bag. The more 0's in the number, the milder it will be on your stainless steel's finish. A brillo pad, or anything similar will scratch it up for sure. #00000 steel wool and some non-abrasive cleaner - I use WD40 - is what you want to try. #00000 steel wool and WD40 is a GREAT non-abrasive cleaner for chrome, but I do not know how it will affect the color of the super-heated pipe. Maybe someone here can elaborate further on this. Whatever you try use it in a nonconspicuous area first and see what happens.

Good luck and keep us informed.