Shane Watts rides Idaho in new Moto 3 video

I drive 1000 miles each way for my Idaho fix, not too many others who do that. Having a son in Boise helps to motivate me also.

I only have two years in now, but I don't think I've seen more than one other group on the trails when I was there?

Ready for winter?

Baja,

I don't think you are alone in traveling a long distance to enjoy our Idaho riding opportunities. We've had an Idaho SpodeFest 13 of the previous 14 years (I skipped 1999 to attend the Colorado SpodeFest).

Twenty six states and four foreign countries have been represented:

WA, OR, CA, AZ, UT, NV, ID, WY, CO, NM, TX, OK, SD, MN, WI, MO, KS, AR, LA, IN, OH, NC, SC, CT, NH, MA, Canada, Brazil, Germany and Austria.

David

OMG !!! SHAME..SHAME..SHANE !

I just watched it . That clip of them ripping off trail is fodder for the enviro supporters . Better hope none of them watch this .

What do we have ? Like 10,000 miles of trails here in Idaho and he needs to make a promo shot of them doing doughnuts off trail ?

A little respect lost for Shane.....

If those were trails I maintained, I would be sending off a little hate mail to the dudebro's making these films. Had the same thing happen with a video back when I used to rockcrawl. :busted:

OMG !!! SHAME..SHAME..SHANE !

I just watched it . That clip of them ripping off trail is fodder for the enviro supporters . Better hope none of them watch this .

What do we have ? Like 10,000 miles of trails here in Idaho and he needs to make a promo shot of them doing doughnuts off trail ?

A little respect lost for Shane.....

Maybe i was looking at the wrong part, but the 5 seconds or so that shane is talking, it's not at all clear to me that they're not on a trail. As you well know, many of our trails get pretty overgrown, and when viewed from an angle, the trail often disappears. I have a pic of tresa in montana, looks like she's just riding randomly through wild flowers, but there was a 6" wide trail underneath all the flowers, totally invisible unless you were standing on it.

I was pretty bummed to :busted:

The footage from the GP has them in one of the best most scenic places in the country to ride, and they are off trail and making tracks that will for sure give a bad view of our sport to anyone else using the established trails.

Really bummed to see the riders and the film maker showing this kinda stuff.

I was pretty bummed to :busted:

The footage from the GP has them in one of the best most scenic places in the country to ride, and they are off trail and making tracks that will for sure give a bad view of our sport to anyone else using the established trails.

Really bummed to see the riders and the film maker showing this kinda stuff.

that section on the shale hill in washington looked more like it might be off-trail.

that section on the shale hill in washington looked more like it might be off-trail.

Yeah, that and the section where they were hopping logs in Hood river... and Wattsy riding a loose rocky hill sure didn't look like a trail to me.

It was disappointing to see. We don't need more moto guys coming out to the trails thinking that crap is ok.

Later,

Maybe i was looking at the wrong part, but the 5 seconds or so that shane is talking, it's not at all clear to me that they're not on a trail. As you well know, many of our trails get pretty overgrown, and when viewed from an angle, the trail often disappears. I have a pic of tresa in montana, looks like she's just riding randomly through wild flowers, but there was a 6" wide trail underneath all the flowers, totally invisible unless you were standing on it.

I finally watched it and that's what I thought, but it is kind of obvious he's not using a trials tire......

yummm, free natty light.

How's the snow factor up there?

It sure looks like off trail. I started to cringe well before the Idaho scene.

It does seem to promote irresponsible behaviour on the trails (or should I say OFF the trails.) We have enough dough heads already. Lets keep them in the parking lots...lol

Baja, Snows just starting to hit. Been to Costa recently ?

i've watched the movie in it's entirety several times and the idaho and washington sections both show, imho, off-trail riding. i think shane's is a little less-obvious as like llama said there could be a faint trail under his tire. but i really don't think there is. in the northwest footage they're definitely off-trail and riding like ass-hats imho. these are the guys that i'd definitely have a talk with if i stumbled across this ass-hattery out on the trail. our resources are always under threat of closure and this kind of press doesn't help at all.

Shane has those classes here in WA/OR state and everywhere accross the country. Someone should let him know how we all think/feel and how protective we can be of our trails...especially at the rate that they are being taken away. Maybe he can give a public apology ? and start doing country wide public service announcements...like community service for trail riders.?

I will confess that I rode with Shane Watts and his dad Norman for 4 days this summer, but no filming was done when he was with me, and absolutely no riding like shown in the video trailer clip. I would not have allowed it, no matter who it was Shane is normally known for his very smooth riding style, and that is the kind of riding I saw him do.

But I will say that I was more than a little dissapointed in how he rode in the video, and I will be relaying my thoughts to him on the subject, and ask him to include a "Tread Lightly" type message for anyone who rides on back country trails.

But I have to also respond to those who seem to think that out of state riders are the major cause of trail damage by "knucklehead" riders. My experience has been that most riders who travel hundreds of miles to ride in Idaho are generally more "seasoned" riders who do ride with respect for the trails. The worst offenders I have seen on Idaho trails are most often younger "local" riders riding "moto" bikes. Of course, other states have far too many of these types of riders, more so than Idaho even, but most of them don't drive all the way to Idaho to ride roughshod on Idaho trails, they stay close to home and trash their own local trails.

All you have to do is go to the closest riding areas to Boise to see what I mean. Out of state riders don't drive hundreds of miles to ride in the Owyhees, or Black's Creek, or Idaho City, the most beat trails in Idaho. The closer you get to Boise, the more beat the trails are.

I have spent the last 3 summers doing trail work 4 days a week in central Idaho, and trail riding 3 days a week on some of the most remote and lightly used trails in Idaho. I don't see many other riders, but when I do, they are most often from out of state, and almost without exception, they are usually more "seasoned" riders who know how to ride with respect for the trails. They come to Idaho because they love to ride high quality, technical trails that aren't beat out and they want to keep them that way. I almost never see other riders from Idaho. Idahoans like Velo and Tresa, and a few other hard core "Trail Less Traveled" seekers are the exception, not the norm.

Maybe I am especially sensitive to this issue because I moved to Idaho a decade ago and I got my share of "hate" from a few natives. But I moved to Idaho because I have a passionate love for Idaho Trails, and as the locals got to know me, they learned that not only do I love the trails and ride them with respect, I do more than many to keep them in good shape physically, as well as working with land managers and politicans to keep them open. I was one of the "early adopters" of trials tires almost 10 years ago because not only do they work better than any knobby on Idaho trails, they also dramatically reduce trail damage. I also try to educate riders on Idaho Trail Riding Etiquette, and worked with a friend to put together a set of trail riding guidelines. Due to limits on size of posts, see my next post for these guidelines

Motorcycle Riding on Idaho’s Mountain Trails

By Ross Williams & Bill Dart

Introduction

The motorized trail system in Idaho is a national treasure. There are approximately 9,000 miles of motorized trails in Idaho that possess unparalleled beauty and technical challenge. As riders, we need to take great care to preserve the unique characteristics of the Idaho trail system so that future generations can experience and enjoy this incredible asset. These trails are often very narrow, steep and very challenging, and will not sustain much abuse. Riders are attracted to these trails because of their relatively pristine characteristics, but unless riders “Ride With Respect”, they will lose that pristine character pretty quickly. With that in mind, we offer these trail riding guidelines, and we hope that you will respect these guidelines, and ask your riding partners and other riders you meet to do the same.

General Protocol

Tread Lightly

Treading lightly means to have as little impact as possible. Enjoy the Idaho experience but leave little evidence that you were here. This includes, but is not limited to, having a quiet muffler on your bike so as not to offend others, having the proper bike setup in order to minimize your impact on the trails, properly disposing of your trash, being respectful of the rights of others, and generally being a good ambassador for the sport of motorcycling.

Be Respectful of Other Users

We are fortunate to have so many motorized trails in Idaho to enjoy. These trails are enjoyed by other types of users as well such as hikers, mountain bikers, and horsemen. In general, when you come upon any other user, slow down so that you don’t make dust or noise and to minimize the risk of hitting someone. Particular care should be taken with horses. When you see them, stop your bike and turn off the engine. Let them pass or wait for them to motion you by. You should push your motorcycle past them unless they tell you it’s OK to ride. If the horses are acting nervous, remove your helmet and talk so they know you are a humana, not a predator threat

Preserve the Trails

The trails in Idaho are pristine and we want to keep them that way. Always use a trials tire on the rear of your motorcycle and ride with a minimum of wheelspin.

Stay on Existing Roads and Trails

The various governmental agencies responsible for managing Idaho’s public lands strive to balance the needs of many competing interest groups. The designated trail system is one of the tools they use to achieve this balance. Therefore, it is important to respect the rights of other interest groups by riding only on designated motorized routes.

Proper Preparation for Safety

Riding in Idaho is beautiful and fun, but can also be dangerous. Prepare yourself and your machine properly to make your Idaho riding experience as safe as possible. Suggested items to take on the trail: an adequate supply of food and water, a lighter, a well stocked tool belt to perform minor repairs on the trail, a tube and CO2 cartridges to fix a flat tire, spare nuts and bolts, a map or GPS unit, and rain gear or a jacket. Don’t rely on anyone else to carry these things for you—you may get separated! Know how far your bike will go on a tank of gas and the length of your ride. Factor in a margin of error and carry extra fuel if there is a possibility you will need it.

Machine Setup

Trials Tire

Always use a rear trials tire on Idaho mountain trails as opposed to a knobby. A trials tire is designed with soft lugs and radial ply that wraps around and contours the ground for unmatched traction and minimal trail erosion. A trials tire will enable you to ride many trails you couldn’t with a knobby while causing almost no impact to the trail. Suggested tire pressure: 6-8 lbs.

Quiet Muffler

Protect our right to ride by installing as quiet a muffler as you can find. No one likes to hear a loud, obnoxious engine.

Low Gearing

The Idaho trails are steep, tight, and extreme. Put the lowest gearing available on your motorcycle. Your gearing can’t be too low! Keep in mind that expert riders cover about 15 miles per hour and intermediate riders about half that.

Proper Jetting

Jet for the proper altitude where you will be riding. Most Idaho mountain trails vary from 6,000-10,000 feet above sea level. Improper jetting will limit engine performance and reduce fuel economy. Using the appropriate pilot jet and needle, and air/fuel screw settings is the most critical part of proper mountain riding jetting because this affects how well the bike runs in technical sections. You won’t be using the main jet very much on Idaho trails!!

Headlight

Unanticipated complications frequently happen during an Idaho trail ride. Having a headlight is a good insurance policy against the unexpected.

Trail Riding Techniques

Ride Clean

Idaho mountain trails offer little margin for error. Precision riding is the order of the day. Keep your tires on the middle of the trail, especially on sidehill. Ride smoothly and don’t worry about speed. The faster you try to go, the more mistakes you will make which can be costly.

Minimize Wheelspin

Spinning your wheels could cause you to go off the trail or to lose momentum on a hill climb. Reduce wheelspin by:

• running a trials tire at the proper tire pressure of 6-8 lbs

• using throttle control and moderately rolling on the gas instead of gunning it,

• slipping your clutch instead of spinning your rear wheel, and

• short shifting into a higher gear instead of winding your engine in a low gear.

• Ride heavy on the seat to get traction over rocks and roots, with your feet on the pegs or in front of them. Don’t push with your legs as that un-weights the rear tire and leads to wheelspin

Hill climbs

Hill climbs are one of the most challenging obstacles in Idaho. Build your speed as much as possible at the bottom and let your momentum carry you up. Use plenty of throttle and clutch control to control wheelspin and keep your front end down. If you get stuck on a hill, DON’T sit there and dig a rut. DO turn around, go back to the bottom, and try again with the proper technique.

Protect Your Legs and Feet

There are lots of hidden obstacles, such as rocks, stumps, logs, or roots, on Idaho’s mountain trails which can catch your feet causing a broken foot, ankle, or leg. Minimize your chance of injury by keeping your feet in close to your engine and back on the footpeg (ride with the balls of your feet on the peg). If you see an obstacle coming too close, pick your foot off the peg.

Keep Eyes on Trail (No Sightseeing)

Many of Idaho’s mountain trails are high, narrow, exposed sidehill trails. While the views can be incredible, if you try to take them in while riding you are sure to go off the trail. If you want to sightsee, stop your motorcycle first!

Don’t Ride a Trail Above Your Ability

Be honest in assessing your riding ability and find out how difficult a trail is before riding it. If it’s your first time riding in the Idaho mountains, start on an easier trail first to see what it’s like and then graduate to the more difficult trails.

If You Ride Off a Trail, Lift the Bike Back Onto the Trail

The trails are often very steep, narrow sidehill trails. If you slip off the trail, do NOT spin the wheel and dig a rut to get back up to the trail. Stop, and lift the bike back onto the trail.

Conclusion

By following these guidelines, you will have a safer, more enjoyable Idaho mountain riding experience and maximize the chances that you, others, and future generations will be able enjoy these trails as well.

Happy Trails!

But I have to also respond to those who seem to think that out of state riders are the major cause of trail damage by "knucklehead" riders. My experience has been that most riders who travel hundreds of miles to ride in Idaho are generally more "seasoned" riders who do ride with respect for the trails. The worst offenders I have seen on Idaho trails are most often younger "local" riders riding "moto" bikes. Of course, other states have far too many of these types of riders, more so than Idaho even, but most of them don't drive all the way to Idaho to ride roughshod on Idaho trails, they stay close to home and trash their own local trails.

Great post, bill. In particular I concur with the part quoted above. I have generally observed the same phenomenon.

Just curious tho, how come there's nothing in your protocol about getting back before dark??

this pic taken about 30 mins before sunset, about 30 miles from where we were camped with ross and bill (we made it back seconds before pitch dark, after a truly awesome ride that highlighted most of the points of bill's general protocol):

watercrossing.jpg

[quote

watercrossing.jpg

uhmmm isn't that off trail riding or is there a faint trail trail under your tires.

considering that's probably prime steel head and possible salmon habitat

I think that would be a bigger issue than riding up a rocky hill in the woods.

and for those that don't know there is a trail above and below the shale hill at gifford.

?

[quote

watercrossing.jpg

uhmmm isn't that off trail riding or is there a faint trail trail under your tires.

considering that's probably prime steel head and possible salmon habitat

I think that would be a bigger issue than riding up a rocky hill in the woods.

and for those that don't know there is a trail above and below the shale hill at gifford.

?

probably trout habitat. not likely salmon or steelhead. given that the river is primarily all granite and quartz monzonite boulders it's not likely that you're churning up any silt in the stream. not to mention it's at a crossing that is on trail. so it's not really pertinant to the discussion.

yes i'm well aware that the trails lay above and below the shale hill the concern i have is the decision to bomb straight down the hill, quite obviously off-trail, cutting the switchback. it's pretty apparent when he goes flying by the trail during his get-off.

sorry but my observation stands. that is ass-hattery riding that serves nobody but the greenies. the least you can do if you choose to ride in that manner is to not put it in a major feature length production.