Sign in to follow this  

Jetting xl 500s

Hi all,

Can anyone give me advise on my xl500s Honda I have rebuilt it with a 600cc weisco hi-comp piston still have standard carburetor and jetting. Would re-

jetting or a larger carburetor be a wise option.

Regards Rod.:thumbsup:

Didn't know they made a 600 kit for a 79-82 500...Standard behaviour with those older XL/XR500 is to put a 38mm Mikuni on them,,my 82 runs one though it's not really jetted correctly or airboxed right. If I had a spare original I'd run it as the Mikuni takes a bit of messing around with jetting/air to get right,,my motors stock so I don't really need a bigger carb,,rather have the reliability and less mucking with carb jetting of the stock system..Your choice whether you go bigger in carbs..

Hi Horri,

I have had this bike for 31years it has been rebuilt several times over the year's. It's been in and out of the shed many times over the years then pulled out and revamped again. It was on last oversize so I put in a new wiesco sleeve and a 95 mm piston much cheaper than going standard, it runs fine just wondered if bigger jets or carb would be an advantage.

Regards Rod.:busted:

31 years...Good run from the old beast.,, about the same time I was riding my XL250 and driving Cabs in Sydney..If you're happy with the way it goes I wouldn't bother altering things unless of course your VMXing it or something and need a boost.

What I willl say is should you decide to go to a 38 mikuni it will work (shock horror),. I had a 38 roundslide Mik on a 500 XR years back,,went really well until the bike was stolen.,The XL500 I currently have has a 38mm flatslide in it..,as I say ,,not set quite right and I'm kinda tired of playing with it's jets and air..Can't really say if it makes the bike go any faster,,hardly use it nowadays as I prefer the 600s for my riding ,.current XL500r cruises easily as well as the 600s,,just as fast in a top speed rev sense..great bike really.,Semi retired dirt boy now so don't need oodles of throw me backwards power,,more road/dirt guy so like keeping revs down and cruising nicely at say 130--140kph..,15/39 gearing..soon to be all 16/39 gearing as I finally located some 16s that fit the 600s and possibly 500,,

Edited by Horri

Ask seller or who ever is making it thoses thing they should give all that info.

Yes sure you have re-jet going to that big of a bore

Yes Horri they are a very reliable bike as for gearing I am running 14-50 for off road we have some serious hills and trails where we live so good for climbing and i have a 16 to gear up a bit for short road use, you can get up to a 17 tooth front sprocket. Thanks shspvr for the reply I will talk to supplier as to what they recommend.

Regards Rod.