Sign in to follow this  

Storing Bike or the Winter

Its time to put the RM away for the winter.. It's getting cold up here in Canada, we had frost this morning which is usually when the bikes go to sleep for the winter.. I know this has been discussed many times before but I wanted to know from the long time 2 stroke owners, what do you think is really necessary for storing the bike? What do you guys do?

For years I've read things like running the bike, rev it up, hit the kill switch.. Or Drain the gas and let the engine run until it runs the carb dry.. The problem I see with that is you're running it dry, not what you really want to do, it's defeating the purpose of trying to oil the bearings and cylinder.. Then there's the fogging spray some people use..

In the 20+ years I've owned bikes, i've always let the 2 strokes idle for a while, this is when you get the most oil accumulation in the bottom end.. I let it idle without touching the throttle, once it's been idling for a bit and it seems like it's "loaded up" I shut it off.. This way I know the oil has built up in the engine.. After I shut it off I then drain the carb and tank.. that's pretty much it..

I've done this for years and have never had a problem..

By the way the topic is supposed to say Storing Bike For The Winter.. I forgot the F.. lol

fog the motor and drain all the gas if you dont plan on riding it or starting it till spring would be the best IMO. With my sleds i always started them and got them up to temp once a week. Ill be putting mine in my basement... but its just going asleep till the ice gets here :busted:

seal up the airbox from varmints, plug the pipe,some guys fill crankcase with oil until all internal gears are covered, drain carb, shut off tank, fog the motor and carb with wd40.Also fog all surfaces with wd40, forks,frame,fasteners,etc. Follow these steps and unless rodents get ahold of your wiring, all will be well for spring