Sign in to follow this  

Rekluse clutch in our klx 450's

Hey boys. Have any of you tried a rekluse in your bikes? I have thought about it alot recently. A buddy of mine installed one on his Husaberg 390 and it is now a monster on hillclimbs and tighties. I'm a big guy and when we do ride the real tights, and there is no room to gain speed before ascending a hill climb, my bike doesn't like to haul me up it from a standing start. It always has to die once or twice, even working the clutch like crazy. Of course, these are very tight, rutty, nasty hills as well. Just looking to get some response on how these bikes perform with the Rekluse system. Thanks for your input.

If you search on here there is alot of info about the Rekluse in our bikes. I went with the Dyna Ring when it was available and I think it is one of the best things I did to the bike. I imagine the Rekluse will produce similar results so I would def recommend it. It will make the hills much easier to climb.:busted:

Hey boys. Have any of you tried a rekluse in your bikes? I have thought about it alot recently. A buddy of mine installed one on his Husaberg 390 and it is now a monster on hillclimbs and tighties. I'm a big guy and when we do ride the real tights, and there is no room to gain speed before ascending a hill climb, my bike doesn't like to haul me up it from a standing start. It always has to die once or twice, even working the clutch like crazy. Of course, these are very tight, rutty, nasty hills as well. Just looking to get some response on how these bikes perform with the Rekluse system. Thanks for your input.

I too am big and do crazy hills and tight stuff. I went to a 12/53 gearing and it solved most of the trouble. I still use a standard clutch. There are still a couple hils that make me wish for lower gearing but this is not a trials bike no matter how hard I try to make it one. lol. I for sure would not like to install an auto-clutch without trying one first. The idea gives me the creeps. Like back when I had a belt driven minibike and a torque converter.

I have a Rekluse EXP 2.0 on my KX. It's great for the close ratio tranny and the volatile power. I had one on my CRF450X and took it off. Don't need it.

Revloc dynaring is a piece of crap, and they are out of business because of it.

hi, i have one on my 2008 klx450 for about 2yrs now, best money ever spent, the bike works every were i ride from tight trails to single track to hill climbs, hardly ever stalls,

I put one on the KLX awhile back and spent the time to figure it out. I chose the Rekluse Pro becuz it allows for some clutch capability. I've got a lot of bikes, and only the KLX has an auto-clutch, so it's different. Really cool sometimes, Not so cool in others.

2days ago I rode a KTM 300 with the new Rekluse 2.0 or whatever they call it and I was impressed. Maybe his setup was somehow better than mine, but I felt no engagement point ever. In any gear, at any speed there was no 'lurch'. The lever 'feel' was identical to stock, and overall was smooth as butter.

IMHO it's kinda like a trials tire vs knobby. I could care less, but they both have to be managed differently, and in some situations they're a knife at a gunfight.

I bought the Dynaring a few months ago and it's still in the box. I'm still nervous about whether I'll like or not.

I put the Dyna ring on my '06 KX450 and have loved it without reservation. If I had know they were going to go out of business I may have looked harder at the Rekluse but at the time I purchased, they only had the Rekluse Trail as a comparable option. I felt like the Dyna Ring was going to be more durable. If and when the dyna Ring needs repalcement I'll go with the Rekluse EXP 2.0. An auto clutch is simply the best mod. I have done to my bike.

Rekluse Z-Start Pro here.

I am still not finished experimenting with the settings. I started with the "recommended" setting: medium RPM & hard engagement. The hard "hit" made the bike difficult to control and I could stall the bike at will by whacking the throttle. My carb settings were perfect IMO, before the install.

I called Rekluse and they said use the high RPM and soft engagement. I understood their reasoning, as my main complaint to them was the stalling. My problem with that setting, though, was that I already found I had to turn the idle up pretty high with the recommended (med. RPM) setting in order to get the slight drag I was supposed to feel while standing still.

I decided to go with the low RPM & soft engagement. This is my current setting. With the low RPM if have the proper drag when standing still, the clutch feel is nice, and I have very little "freewheeling" effect during normal riding, which is fine with me. Problem is that it still stalls without warning, not on throttle but "brake" stalls, such as when the rear wheel hits a rock or root...so I still feel like I need to "cover" the clutch in difficult terrain.

So far, it's not the magic bullet it's hyped up to be, but maybe I was expecting too much. No regrets for trying it out, but I certainly wouldn't pay retail price for it (bought mine used for $300).

Rekluse Z-Start Pro here.

I am still not finished experimenting with the settings. I started with the "recommended" setting: medium RPM & hard engagement. The hard "hit" made the bike difficult to control and I could stall the bike at will by whacking the throttle. My carb settings were perfect IMO, before the install.

I called Rekluse and they said use the high RPM and soft engagement. I understood their reasoning, as my main complaint to them was the stalling. My problem with that setting, though, was that I already found I had to turn the idle up pretty high with the recommended (med. RPM) setting in order to get the slight drag I was supposed to feel while standing still.

I decided to go with the low RPM & soft engagement. This is my current setting. With the low RPM if have the proper drag when standing still, the clutch feel is nice, and I have very little "freewheeling" effect during normal riding, which is fine with me. Problem is that it still stalls without warning, not on throttle but "brake" stalls, such as when the rear wheel hits a rock or root...so I still feel like I need to "cover" the clutch in difficult terrain.

So far, it's not the magic bullet it's hyped up to be, but maybe I was expecting too much. No regrets for trying it out, but I certainly wouldn't pay retail price for it (bought mine used for $300).

I have yet to stall mine on any kind of riding. I am no mechanical genius but I think I hit the nail on the head when I set it up as it acts just like advertised. (Just got lucky I believe.)

I have yet to stall mine on any kind of riding. I am no mechanical genius but I think I hit the nail on the head when I set it up as it acts just like advertised. (Just got lucky I believe.)

Not sure why you quoted my post, given the fact you are running a completely different auto clutch than I am. Anyhow, I did get a PM from a fellow at Rekluse with some suggestions, so they do stand behind their stuff.

And while I'm not going to get in to the Revloc vs Rekluse debate (my understanding is that there was litigation involved) I do believe it's clear that the auto clutch industry has evolved away from the balls and wave spring design used in the z-Start Pro, even though Rekluse does still sell and support it.

@mele63

I guess I should have just quoted the part where you mentioned yours stalls. I was merely just stating that I have yet to have mine stall and have loved it since day one. If you get yours to the point it does not stall you will like even that much more regardless of the brand. There was no mention in my post about comparing the two companies or having a debate over them.

@mele63

I guess I should have just quoted the part where you mentioned yours stalls. I was merely just stating that I have yet to have mine stall and have loved it since day one. If you get yours to the point it does not stall you will like even that much more regardless of the brand. There was no mention in my post about comparing the two companies or having a debate over them.

Rekluse Z Start Pro, 08 CRF 450 R, not perfect but would not go back to stock.

It used to flame out aroud every switchbak unless I clutched and railed every one. Re-jet (pilot), heaviest flywheel avaliable and the Z start. The only time it flames out now is when I chop the throttle and try to get right back on it.

I have had mine for two years and would never go back. Having the Rekluse is incredible for tight technical trails and on the fire roads it does what it is supose to.

When climbing steep trails with roots and rocks the rekluse is like cheating I can chop the throttle and roll back on with out any surprises. It is a consistent hit every time I roll on the throtttle. I have all the balls in and med RPM settings, it work well for me. I started with fresh clutch plates and have switched to the thicker adjustment plate about a year ago.

I think the auto-clutches work best with 2 strokes. Just my opinion

they work great with 4 strokes too, in fact I wont even own a bike without one, I sent my xr400 down the road because I could not get one that did not cost as much as the bike was worth

I own a rekluse pro, a rekluse core exp 2.0 full setup *made wallet a lot lighter*, and a dynaring

they all work great for me, the rekluse 2.0 is my least favorite as it does not engage as smooth as the pro or dynaring, but it's not that big a deal

I race my KLX out here in California's AMA District 37 desert races and have used the Z Pro for 3 years now and wouldn't ride without it. Never have had an issue with it. The only thing I did was replace the clutch disks with the Honda ones as recommended by Rekluse and I use the Rotella oil. The clutch makes the nasty long loose rock hill climbs much easier for me. Also I run 14/48 gearing so the bike has the speed necessary but can still climb just about anything they throw at us. The only problem I ever have is with my skill level...:busted:

I have the Dyna Ring and I find the auto clutch is an awesome product. I will stall at tikes due to throttle chop, but, when the hills get nasty, with turns and crap, the auto is Sweet

That throttle stop stall is why I say the 2 stroke works better with a rekluse. The 2t never flames out.

Using the clutch, I almost never kill my bike. With the rekluse installed, it happens from time to time...especially downhill switchbacks, but it's great for getting going on a steep loose hill.