Sign in to follow this  

Carrying extra fuel

Can anyone tell me what they do to carry extra fuel while out on a ride.

I have an EC300 and my mates all run 4 strokes, when we plan a day out we have to plan it round fuel stops as I seem to use a heck of a lot more than they do.

When I first bought my Beta, 2.1 gallon tank. I had to figure out exactly how many miles I would get. I carried an aluminum water bottle w/ a poly cap on a carrabiner on my camelbak. Never leaked, never a problem.

Bleach bottles work great. Also Gatorade bottles. If you run something like a MoJavi saddlebag make sure whatever you use fits inside. I've also used the Jax collapseable bags. A seam split on my full Jax on the way up to 10,000 ft.

I've been using gallon oil containers with great success. I've also used Gatorade bottles too... No problems, no leaks..

2 liter soda bottles have always worked for me.

I rode with these combined with Sweetcheeks. Was very good; I never noticed the soda bottles, not sitting, not standing. No weight disadvantage.

I don't fill them up to the cap, leave a little bit of air in them for when I drop the bike. So I did in a rocky environment. No problem.

Extra advantage: you have more room to release your boots when fallen.:busted:

In the end I started riding with one bottle of water and one with gas, so I was the mothership in case any person ran out of the two:ride:

I've fitted the Baja Designs side take to my Beta. With the 3.2 IMS and side take I have about 4 gallons of usable fuel. works great and I don't notice the side take.

Riding buddies in Cali have been using the platypus bladders for gasoline for years with great results.. best part is that you just empty as soon as you have space in the tank. then roll up bladder and forget about it.. it's light weight and doesn't take too much room in the back pack or camelbak..

platypus bladder..,

I was about to throw mine away as after being off a bike for 18 months it's gone all rank tasting.. , probably not an issue if I fill it with fuel.., excellent - thanks,

Charlie