Sign in to follow this  

Weird choke problem - CRF70

My daughter's CRF70 (2007) is doing some funny things at start-up. First of all, it is very hard to keep the bike running until it warms up. Associated with this, if I turn the choke on, the idle speed will increase for a maybe 5 seconds, and then slow back down to sound as if the choke isn't even on. If I toggle it off for a few seconds and then back on, the process will keep repeating.

Any ideas on what I need to check into for this problem?

Thanks-

Steve

I'd start by pulling off the carb and give it a good cleaning, make sure it is spotless. Remove the jets and blow them out, you will be able to see clearly through them when held up to a light source when you are done. May as well clean the airfilter while you have it off. Then being that you still have the tools out, finish off by checking the valve clearances if you haven't done so for awhile.

Thanks Racer. I'll do a carb cleaning/rebuild now that the season is winding down here. I wasn't sure if clogged jetting would give the symptoms we're having, or if if there could be something amiss with some aspect of the choke mechanism.