Sign in to follow this  

California Let's Ride Tomorrow! Elkins 9 am 10/29/11

Just an easy jaunt around the park. I'm thinking lunch on the picnic tables @ Leek Springs Tower, Swimming Hole (I ain't swimming) we'll take the secret trail that ain't on the map, I'll point you to the Hill of Death. We could even do some other nice hill climbs. I wish I knew where the Bee Trail was!!!!!!! Hint, Hint.

My son can't go. He's in Chico this weekend.............. friends.......... Zombie Crawl.............. street party................. girls............. nuggs............... ugh! :ride:

Main Staging Area. Be there or be square! :thumbsup:

Edited by superslyko

Were any TT's there this weekend?

I was at Gold Note in the morning at 7:30. Staged near five corners. We did trail 33 mostly twice, once in each direction for about 30 miles. We then packed up and headed out to Elkins main staging area. We did another 36 miles there before calling it a day. A great day....and I got my redemption on trail 26 after a lame/freak leg tweak so that was icing on the cake. Got burgers at 88 Burger (first time...good stuff!). I met a few nice guys, asked them if they were on Thumpertalk but got blank stares. I'll keep asking in the future. :busted:

Edited by RabidDove_NorCal

Yeah, the 88 Burger stop in Pine Grove has become a tradition. My arteries cringe every time and my truck smells like onions for a day or two. I've gotten the same reaction when meeting other riders out on the trail. "Thumpertalk??" Uh...nevermind.....:busted:

EDIT

Honesty is a biatch....and so was that last post. It is what it is.

Thanks Scott.

Edited by RabidDove_NorCal
meh, it was too whiny....

I'm outta shape, I'm new, I'm fat, and I need to get better before I rate to meet you guys. Damn, I love this sport, I want to get better...

Well I am out of shape, fatter than you are, and SHOULD be better than I am. Don't worry about "rating" - just ride! Have fun, improve a little every ride, and listen to the advice of others (people you ride with, not screen names). I plan to ride Friday 11/11 with some guys close to your skill level, either Elkins or White Pines if you're interested. I'll post again when I know details. So Slyco (Skipper Jr.) didn't show?

I was there! What, you don't believe me? ............................................ :busted:

I come from the Sacramento Side of Elkins Flat. So when I drive alone I like to stage at the Super Secret Spot that Nugent showed me. Cuts an hour off my drive time. Driveway to Staging Area, 90 minutes. The bummer is I have to ride (the bike) over the top of The Hill of Death! It's awfully tempting......................... but by yourself........................ it ain't too smart! :bonk:

Still no snow up top, but beautiful conditions.

P.S. 90% of the riders I see out on the trail have no idea TT exists. Just by being here you're ahead of those fellas! But every now & then, I get some total stranger say,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, "Hey! I know you!" :busted:

P.S.S. There will forever be only 1 Skipper!

Edited by superslyko
Beer Me!

Where is the hill of death????

I was there! What, you don't believe me? ............................................ :busted:

I come from the Sacramento Side of Elkins Flat. So when I drive alone I like to stage at the Super Secret Spot that Nugent showed me. Cuts an hour off my drive time. Driveway to Staging Area, 90 minutes. The bummer is I have to ride (the bike) over the top of The Hill of Death! It's awfully tempting......................... but by yourself........................ it ain't too smart! :bonk:

Still no snow up top, but beautiful conditions.

P.S. 90% of the riders I see out on the trail have no idea TT exists. Just by being here you're ahead of those fellas! But every now & then, I get some total stranger say,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, "Hey! I know you!" :busted:

P.S.S. There will forever be only 1 Skipper!

Where is the hill of death????

I too am curious as I'll be at Elkins tomorrow..

The Hill of Death is just off Caldor Road. When Caldor is a dirt road, just past the cattle crossing grate, before the major intersection. It's just a little trail that drops off the cliff. It is not on the map. It is not near the "other" cattle grate on trail 33.

I've driven by it about 1000 times before I was shown where it was. :busted: This local (who will remain nameless............ DO NOT ride with him) showed me cuz I was bitchin Elkins was so flat. He tried to kill me. Funny............. a few folks on TT have tried to kill me.

The Skipper has told me he's been up it. Said he did it multiple times on the wolf. :bonk:

It's called the Hill of Death because it's 100 yards, 60-70 degrees, rocks, shale, roots, and a couple of 2' ruts down the middle of it.

I've NEVER seen anyone ever make it up. I've seen MULTIPLE fellas try to make it up. Going DOWN it is a bull-dog event.

Elkins Flat is............................... Flat on the map. But don't be fooled................. there are some killer hills there. :busted:

I guess I will try and look around for it or try and hook up with you one of these days! I promise I won't try and kill you!

Uh................ yeah................... I rode alone................ It was cold! :busted: