Sign in to follow this  

Cellphone as Cam

I think it would be cool to record a ride with my Galaxy S2 since it shoots 1080p... but I can't think of a good way to attach it. I tried attaching a camera to the handle bars with duct tape one time but it shifted and mostly just got footage of trees and clouds.

I've been tossing this idea around myself, my Droid defiantly records better than most gopros...I'm going to try one of those foam tubes with a wire in it.

If it holds well you'd be able to put it wherever you want in seconds.

Most cell phone cameras do not have a wide enough viewing angle causing very directional and focused videos. You may have to get a Jelly Wide Angle lens on ebay for a couple bucks to fix that.

I tried it once with a cell phone a few years back, and found the cell phone couldn't keep up to the fast paced motion of MX. Either to do with a low quality codec or size and hardware constraints of the phone. Either way the video was just awful, granted a few years ago.

Just curious, what bitrate does your phone record at? 1080p on GoPro's sits at around 15Mbps.

Depends on the camera APK I use, there are lots of modded ones out. The most popular one does 24mbit, but there are some for 30. Supposedly the phone crashes if you try more than 36mbit. The stock one I'm not sure.

Got a samsung droid charge. Crappy phone but the camera is pretty good. I used electrical tape to put it on my helmet in front of my mouth. Zappa is right about needing a wide angle lens. I had to start recording and lock the screen before i mount it sideways with a rag between the screen and helmet so it dosent break and it gives a little play to adjust after wrapping it with tape. I use a free video editing app to cut boring stuff and all done. If someone can direct me on how to post a vid i will try. It even sounds kinda good.

the helmet kinda slides down so no amount of lifting your head will compensate for my crappy aim but this is the quality of a modern cell phone.

Now that i watch it from my link posted here it dosent look quite as clear as the original. I think i have to learn a bit more about youtube. Thank you for your help on posting the vid!!!

Still not bad... Pretty good quality! I think Id still rather use a $175 cam that is designed for the abuse we put them through than my $500 cell phone that wont be covered should I go down on the track.

Heres another after i changed some settings on my phone.

looks better quality but still having problems with aim.

You uploaded the first vid at 240p, and the 2nd at 720p, so it should look markedly better. I think one of the things I notice about the gopro, aside from the viewing angle, is that it seems to deal with camera shake in some way that the cell phone doesn't.

Id be too scared a stone would kick up and trash my phone knowing my luck, Id rather replace a £20 camera rather than a £600 ipone.

Thats much better! You can figure the aim out later... Still dont trust strapping my $500 phone to my helmet. But if you dont want to drop the coin on a helmet cam this is a very good option.:busted:

Id be too scared a stone would kick up and trash my phone knowing my luck, Id rather replace a £20 camera rather than a £600 ipone.

I was thinking of strapping mine to my supermoto, wreck not really not so much of a concern, I'm just worried about having it come loose and skid down the highway.

I was thinking of strapping mine to my supermoto, wreck not really not so much of a concern, I'm just worried about having it come loose and skid down the highway.

That would be fun trying to explain that to your phone insurance people :busted: