Sign in to follow this  

What's the stock pilot jet?

Only because I haven't touched the carb in 4 years, (and my memory is going :busted: ) what's the OEM pilot jet?

Thanks

Here's why I asked...

My bike has the JDJetting kit (installed per instructions for my altitude of 250-1600), air box mods, AIS blockoff, and full FMF exhaust. Bike starts easy when cold, but when hot, I either have to pump the throttle 3-4 times, or hold the throttle just a tad to make it fire. My thoughts are it's just a bit too lean on idle and since I'll be pulling the carb out this weekend to give it a nice internal cleaning, I thought I might fix the jetting (if that's the problem). I have the stock 45 PJ in and was thinking of installing a 48 PJ. Would that fix the issue?

Thanks

Here's why I asked...

My bike has the JDJetting kit (installed per instructions for my altitude of 250-1600), air box mods, AIS blockoff, and full FMF exhaust. Bike starts easy when cold, but when hot, I either have to pump the throttle 3-4 times, or hold the throttle just a tad to make it fire. My thoughts are it's just a bit too lean on idle and since I'll be pulling the carb out this weekend to give it a nice internal cleaning, I thought I might fix the jetting (if that's the problem). I have the stock 45 PJ in and was thinking of installing a 48 PJ. Would that fix the issue?

Thanks

I have the exact same mods........mine fires right up hot with the hot-start. Does that make a difference with your bike?

PS: I'm stock on pilot too

Here's why I asked...

Thanks

I ride from 100' to 4000' and I run a 48 pilot it's a bit on the rich side at idle. I will be going back to the 45. I have never had aproblem starting the bike cold or hot with the 45 or the 48 pilot. The biggest problem I had was the aluminum fuel screw I had in it they are JUNK.What fuel screw are you running?

I ride from 100' to 4000' and I run a 48 pilot it's a bit on the rich side at idle. I will be going back to the 45. I have never had aproblem starting the bike cold or hot with the 45 or the 48 pilot. The biggest problem I had was the aluminum fuel screw I had in it they are JUNK.What fuel screw are you running?

Uh...don't remember, but there's a good possibility it's aluminum. What do you suggest?

Uh...don't remember, but there's a good possibility it's aluminum. What do you suggest?

R&D flex screw is the only way to fly. The only thing you need to be careful about is when it bottoms out do not turn it anymore. Also I put Marvel mystery oil in the sleeve at the nobe end.:busted:

With the 45PJ and my above listed settings, how may turns out should I have on the screw? I think I'm at 1.5, or is it 2...dunno. Suggestions?

With the 45PJ and my above listed settings, how may turns out should I have on the screw? I think I'm at 1.5, or is it 2...dunno. Suggestions?

You wanna be 2 turns out ideally.

You wanna be 2 turns out ideally.

Yup as Dirk said above 2 is a good start. With the 48 I will be from 2 to 3.5 and like I said I'm on the rich side. You will adjust it to the elevation you are ridding. I was really supprised at the differance the R&D flex srew makes.:busted: