Sign in to follow this  

2012 crf250r question

Hi, I just brought home a new 2012 crf250r and Im super excited. When I went to start the bike at the dealer I noticed there is no fuel on/off switch. So how do I turn the fuel off so it does not flood? I heard that some of the eariler models had fuel get into the oil. Is that preventable in any way? I heard that if you put the enigne at TDC the fuel can not get into the crankcase. How do you put the eninge at TDC though? And should I drain the gas that is in the gas tank and if so how? Thanks for any help guys.

There is no shut off valve. The injector pinnacle, if it doesn't let fuel by, is basically your shut off valve.

Putting your engine on TDC would close the intake valve (and exhaust valve), but if the injector didn't seal and let fuel by, it would fill up you intake port and still be severly flooded. Even with the intake valve shut, some gas would likely seep by over time.

Reportedly there were some problems on the early 450's with the injector not holding back the fuel, and it going into the intake, by the intake valve, on top of the piston, past the rings and then finally into the crankcase where it would "make oil" (fuel raise the oil level). If the injector leaks, this is a possibility.

I don't think I would worry about it too much.

If you're worried, just check you oil level before you start it and give it the sniff test at the sametime.

Beware when you fill your tank, replace your fuel filter every season, let your bike at top dead center when you store it for the day (or more), check your oil level, smell it...

This wasn't really an issue on 11+ Honda

Beware when you fill your tank, replace your fuel filter every season, let your bike at top dead center when you store it for the day (or more), check your oil level, smell it...

This wasn't really an issue on 11+ Honda

Is is hard to replace the fuel filter? And how do I set my bike at dop dead center?

There is no fuel shut off or Battery. Read your manual from cover to cover. This is new technology, old school rules don't apply. Don't listen to older riders still on 2 strokes(nothing against them) about anything other than how to ride. Your bike is new and has different rules. Dead top centre...Bahahaha. Just throw it on the centre stand with the wheels off the ground, you will be fine. But like I said, READ YOUR MANUAL, then go buy the 2012 service manual and read it. The 2012 is a great bike.