Sign in to follow this  

What gauge is the wiring in the electrical system?

What is the gauge of the wiring used in our electrical components?

I noticed that the bare wire underneath the insulated coloring on the wires coming from the CDI is copper, and the wiring coming from the components of the bike is steel wire underneath the insulated color coatings.

I need to lengthen the batch of wires (6 wires) coming from the stator, and I need to know what gauge and what type of wire to use between steel and copper wire. I'm not using the mid-frame plastic plugs, as I have been using the hard-wired (soldered together) covered in heat shrink wrap method for waterproofing reasons two years and counting so far. Those plastic plugs took a crap on me from being plugged and unplugged so many times, that I just eliminated them altogether because they were no longer resistant to wet conditions.

16 gage is fine. I'd use a multi strand fine copper wire.

I appreciate the early response, as I still could not find my wire gauge measuring device this morning. The gauge of wire has to be pretty close, as the electrical resistance can be altered quite quickly if the incorrect gauge and type of wire is used. :busted:

Thanks again William1.

The resistance across the wiring is so negligible that it can't even be calculated to within two decimal points, so don't worry about that. Just make sure the wire you use if flexible (high strand count), same or larger gauge, and is soldered properly.

The resistance across the wiring is so negligible that it can't even be calculated to within two decimal points, so don't worry about that. Just make sure the wire you use if flexible (high strand count), same or larger gauge, and is soldered properly.

Got it! Thanks intensem1rider. I understand where you are coming from about the resistance being negligible. I found the proper gauge of wire (I always label wire that small with a masking tape tag), now I just have to remember who I loaned my soldering gun to because they have my flux also. :busted:. :busted:.

You don't really need a special device, just use a caliper or micrometer and measure the conducting portion of the wire...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_wire_gauge

And yes, only use stranded wire for this application... As William1 says 16 AWG is plenty. Unless you're using a 28 AWG wire for your starter motor I wouldn't worry about resistance issues.