Sign in to follow this  

XL600 gearing

Got a bunch of parts today and most are on including the air check valve which seems to make it idle better. I bought some new sprockets and thought 14-48 would be good as thats what was on my CR500. Problem is since I bought the CR back from my friend I realized today that the gears were changed to 15-43 :busted: The gearing on my 83 XL600 is 13-51 which is nice for the road but kinda tall for trails. What do you guys recommend for a good street / off road combination?

Gearing,,the perennial discussion..Road 16/39...dirt ,,(depends on the terrain) Oregon,,masses of trees/roots/mud..15/43 or something round there..probably too tall that..Difficult question as getting the power to the ground rather than having masses of wheelspins more important in real boggy stuff..,ie spinning,,in the old days we changed up..,not sure on the thinking these days..

Edited by Horri

Ya, most of the riding ill be doing on the XL off road is logging roads and fairly easy trails. I have the CR500 for the good stuff. I dont want to take away the drive ability on the road. I guess I need a good in between. has anyone run anything around 14-48? I can mess with the rear and the front by trying 14-51 or 13-48, its just going to be alot of sprocket swapping.

I'm using 15 - 48, ok for both road trail, not great for either but compromise is the name of the game. 14-48 was better trail but a little short for 55mph and up, if you stay off the freeway it was great.