Sign in to follow this  

My new to me 77 PE250

Brought it home today for 280.00 bucks.

engine is out of frame due to a piston broke at the skirt. Jug looks ok, head took a beating from the chunk of piston skirt banging around, the piston head and cylinder head combustion chamber are evidence of that.

I Think the motor had sat a long time, because at first I thought the crank was froze up, but after a few squirts of kroil it spun free, I think it is ok. Needs a good top end job.

http://s264.photobucket.com/albums/ii162/a6chris/?action=view&current=Pe250crank001.jpg

whatcha think?

Edited by Motosprtman

Cleaned it up today and parked it in my "que". This bike was cared for during it's life time. No coooterism. wheels and spokes cleaned up to look like new with simply SOS pads and Dawn dish soap water. Overall Frame is in real nice shape for it's age, no rust or worn paint. Tank inside and out is clean as new, minor paint wear and one tiny ding. Rear sprocket looks good still and tires ok to knock around on. Needs fork seals and all cables replaced. Carb is soaking. Found a cometic gasket kit on ebay and wiseco piston and rings.

Bike is so original it still has the decal on the tank for the 20-1 fuel mixture and the off road only warning. Has the KYB shocks on it and they are probably worn out. I will have to find some replacements.

I need a left side cover and am on the search for a better front fender. the original is not cracked or worn, just numerous attempts at painting it have it afu.

I think it feels lonely amongst all the Hondas and needs to come snuggle with my Suzukis. Nice find. I'd probably be tempted to put new rod bearings in it.

I think it feels lonely amongst all the Hondas and needs to come snuggle with my Suzukis. Nice find. I'd probably be tempted to put new rod bearings in it.

It has other Suzuki's to converse with, TS125, 250's and 400. I would split the cases and do the crank bearing but I am inconfident.....

It has other Suzuki's to converse with, TS125, 250's and 400. I would split the cases and do the crank bearing but I am inconfident.....

Crank bearings are actually pretty easy. I have a simple crank puller (Tusk) I get the crank out with, and then when the missus is out, just put the case halves in the oven at 350 for 20 minutes...:busted: ...and voila, the bearings drop right out.:busted: Freeze up your new bearings and drop them in the hot cases, and Bob's-yer-uncle.:bonk:

There's some great pills for that. :busted: Back to the PE, that and the 175 model were very excellent, some great riders went very fast on them with little modification.

There's some great pills for that. :busted: Back to the PE, that and the 175 model were very excellent, some great riders went very fast on them with little modification.

you crazy bastard ! :-) I said inconfident - not impintent! LOL :busted: