Sign in to follow this  

a good first bike

Hey there my girlfriends little brother wants to get into riding, so im thinking about what bike he should get. He is 15 years old and almost 6 feet tall, so hes a big kid.

I was thinking either a crf230, an 85 cc two stroke, or does anyone think a 125 would be okay for him? he has no experience with motorcycles but it would be nice to not have to sell his bike after 1 year or so cause he has outgrown it.

If hes using it for mx I say 125 2 stroke or 250f. He is way to big for an 85. I was 5ft 7inches on my kx100 when I had it and I felt so cramped.

What kind of riding will he be doing? At 6ft he is a big kid so I would get him a 125 2 stroke. Good for learning since they get you familiar with the clutch and shifting a bit more often. Also, when he stalls it will be easier to start it up again.

When I was 15, I was a bit shorter (about 5'7" at the time) and my first bike I rode on the trails was a 125. Made me a better rider.

KDX200 might be something to consider, more torquey than a 125, lighter and more capable than a CRF230. KTM200's are a step up in performance, but will probably cost more as well

Yeah, major question is.. MX or trails?

MX, definitely the 125.

Trails/offroad, I'd say more like the 230. 125 will work in the woods too, but is a much steeper learning curve for a new rider.

he will be starting on the trails, im just afraid a 125 could scare him if lets say hes no a natural at it. I do agree that it would force him to develop a lot more than a 230...im glad someone mentioned a kdx 200 i had not thought of that before. I havent ridden one but from what i hear they are pretty mild bikes right?

The first bike I had ever rode was a yz125, I hated it, You have to rap the shiz outta them just to get any power. Next well ktm 380 2t, in short way too much power... (still could have handeled it and gotten used to it. Next bike was a crf 230, loved it, could have rode it all day (the owner and I switched bikes my 250x atv) I think that for me since I already knew how to use a clutch from my atv getting one like a 300 4 stroke would be great, im also considering a 250 2t. I would say let him learn on an atv the basic clutch, then add the bike. That is just me though.

It sounds like a 230 would be a great starter for him. You can get one cheap take care of it and sell it later for almost what you paid for it. They are very good at trails and shouldn't be over his head.

he will be starting on the trails, im just afraid a 125 could scare him if lets say hes no a natural at it. I do agree that it would force him to develop a lot more than a 230...im glad someone mentioned a kdx 200 i had not thought of that before. I havent ridden one but from what i hear they are pretty mild bikes right?

I rebuilt a '94 KDX for my GF (the '94 sits a little lower than the '95+ versions). It has super plush suspension, excellent brakes, great handling and a very torquey motor. It's a very easy bike to ride for beginners, and surpisingly capable for faster riders. She spent a year on our CRF230 and got to the point where the bike was holding her back. I considered upgrading the CRF230 suspension and brakes, but it's still a pretty heavy bike to throw around. The KDX is really nimble, and has really allowed her to pick up the pace.

i would definitely go with the 230, 85cc two strokes are not beginner bikes. They have a very annoying and sometimes dangerous power band. I crashed twice in one day on an 85 just because of that sudden power.