Sign in to follow this  

Bike for Begginer

Alright, so I'm 5'11, 13 (Young, I know.) and 140lbs.

I'm seriously considering getting a dirt bike since almost all of my friends either have one or a 4-wheeler. I live in Texas, and while I do live in a really nice community going about a half a mile away from my house puts you in woods with awesome trails and gravel roads you can ride on.

I have almost no dirt bike experience. That being said, my dad used to ride a BMW Dakar 650 (I've been wondering, is that at all a good bike?) and before that a Harley, until he sold them both. He's by no means an amazing rider, but he can easily teach me how to shift and how to sit on a the bike correctly.

My neighbor (Who we've known for about nine years and is my father's best friend.) has a 125cc 4 stroke Yamaha-TTR. He hasn't used it in over a year and while it doesn't start, all it needs is to be cleaned and an oil change.

What I want to know, is if I should get the TTR (Which I would get an amazing price on thanks to the things I listed before.) or, should I just get a different bike? If so, what type?

Sorry for the long message, I just want to be able to get a detailed answer.

Thanks

I would probably go with a cr500 or kx500 since your a beginner :busted:

In all seriousness the ttr is probably a little small for you. Your a pretty tall kid. You could get it learn how to ride on it, crash it a few times and then resell it for a profit to get a different bike. Maybe a kawasaki kdx200 would be a nice bike for you they are an awesome trail bike and have a nice tame powerband. The kdx is an affordable bike and there's lots of support out there for it.

Yup, I'm pretty muscular too(: haha.

In all seriousness though, I actually tried the TTR and I won't like, my feet barely touched the ground. Exactly how flat should my feet be when sitting on it?

EDIT: I just got the first line after Googling those two bikes. I feel pretty dumb):

Do you have really short legs or something? I know there are different sub models of the ttr that have varying seat heights, but even the tallest ones are still kinda short for someone as tall as you. Do you know your pant size? like I'm a 32 waist and 32" leg or inseam or whatever it is.

Haha no. I talked to my dad though and he said the bike could easily be lowered and that currently, the bike was as high as it could be.

On that bike I would think both feet would be flat on the ground just about, especially being 6 ft tall. At the very minimum you should be able to touch the ground with your toes. Growing up, one of my friends who was and still is vertically challenged, rode a 250 full size bike. At the time he was probably not even 5 ft tall. He would have to partially hang off the side of the bike to keep from falling over. He didn't care though, but he's been riding since he was like 5. You have to feel comfortable on the bike or else you're more likely to get hurt.

if your 5'11 that bike would be way too small for you, are you sure your 5'11? lol...that would be a perfect bike for someone your age to earn on, i learned how to ride on a crf 150...my suggestion would be to bu the bike if you feel confident in the condition it is in, and think about moving up to an 85cc two stroke big wheel if you master the 150, or get bored with the power it has

Ya, Im pretty sure. Maybe like 5'10, but pretty near 5'11. Good thing is though, my neighbor said if we clean and get the bike running, I can ride it as much as I want. So that'd be good to learn on, I think.