Sign in to follow this  

YZ 125 Throttle Response

Hello all,

I have a 2002 yz 125 that works fine. But, the throttle response seems off in my opinion. Couple examples would be, when ever I'm slipping the clutch, it seems kind of sluggish. Like it doesn't want to go. Another example would be, in any gear... for example lets go with 3rd. Just coasting along at around 10 - 15 mph. I whack the throttle all the way back and hold it there. It try's to bog down and die. Does anyone have any ideas on what the problem could be? Also, the carb was fully cleaned about 2 weeks ago. Power valve, reeds, are all fine. Not sure if this will help but, I'd consider my self an intermediate rider. I am 6'2 195# If anyone has any ideas, all help will be appreciated, thank you.

First thing you need to know is whether it is bogging because of a lean condition or a rich condition. When bogging after cracking it open is there a lot of smoke? Will it eventually clear out or would it die if you left the throttle open?

The second thing we need to know is if it is a new problem, or just a new bike to you, cause a 125 in 3rd gear at 15mph would normally not accelerate very well. All the power is at the top of the rpm range, only.

Also the TMX carb is easily upset by temp and elevation changes

As above it may be rich it may be lean! hard to tell without seeing these things lol , Simply try raising the needle clip a grove , if no better or worse go the other way