Sign in to follow this  

98 KX 125, stumbles if you get on the throttle too hard from a low RPM

Hey there everyone,

So a friend of mine purchased a 1998 Kawasaki KX125 today, and it's a pretty good bike! It treats him good, and overall seems to do the trick, but it does have one nasty habit I can't quite understand.

First off, it was having idle issues and a funky bog off of idle. Definitely a bit too rich and causing some wierdness. Dropping down a pilot jet size got it idleing like a charm and it felt great. Unfortunately, it's still not quite perfect.

If you let it sit for half a second and idle, and then grab a bunch of throttle, you can completely kill the engine. It dies just like a four stroke with a bad accelerator pump would. Infact, if you're riding around at a very low RPM, and twist quickly on the throttle, the bike will just barely pull at all for a good long ways as barely chugs along.

Soooo... any ideas? The bike has a Keihin PWK airstriker carb in there if that is important to know. It's got a 40 pilot jet and a 168 main jet. Needle position and shape unknown, presumably OEM.

Perhaps it's the reeds?

Awww, nobody?

Setting the idle high helped take care of the problem, and given that you ride a two stroke on the pipe all the time anyways it never shows up. I wonder what it's about...

Awww, nobody?

Setting the idle high helped take care of the problem, and given that you ride a two stroke on the pipe all the time anyways it never shows up. I wonder what it's about...

Broken reed petals most likely.

Sounds like a lean on the bottom bog. Put a 42 pilot in there with a 158 main jet. Set the needle clip on the 4th position from the top.

125's don't pull large throttle opening from lugging rpm very well. However, your low rpm bog does sound like it's lean.

I had a 99 KX125, all stock. I was running a 42-45 pilot and 155 main at ~3,000 feet elevation and temps in the 70-100F range.