Sign in to follow this  

YZ 125 Gearing for woods

Hello all,

I have a 2002 yz 125 that just can not seem to climb hills to save its life.

I am a 6'2 195# rider. I'd consider myself intermediate. Right now I have a FMF shorty and a Fatty Gold series on there. But, Could some one recommend what gearing would be right for the bike and myself to just tractor up a hill. I am running a 13 T front sprocket. And I am unsure what the Rear is. I will have to check in the morning. Also, could someone point out to me, am I maybe perhaps to big of a fellow for this bike? Would a Yz250F be more in the lines for me?

All help will be much appreciated. Thank you.

I think it will be technique not the bike. Stick with it and learn to use the clutch. Once you have it worked out you'll be able to climb any hill on any bike.

I am 195 also and use to have a 125. No gearing chang will get you to the tractor you want. Like said above the clutch is what will get you up the hills.

A 125 is the wrong tool if you plan to "tractor up a hill".

Get a stroke or learn to ride the 125.

Steady on thottle/slipping clutch to keep in the powerband, never let go off throttle control your speed with the clutch.

On this bike you need to use 1st gear pinned to climb hills. The bike will sound like it's going to blow up but you'll get up the hill.

Could you explain what you mean by using the clutch?

If you put the bike in 2nd and pull away you have to keep the rev's up and release the clutch slowly so the bike doesn't bog and stall. This is what is ment, but on a hill.

Another way to put it is to ride a 125 you need to learn that the trottle controls the engines rev speed, and the clutch is used to determin how much of the power is given to the rear wheel.

Next time you are at that hill don't be affaid to rev the life out of it and drag/slip/abuse the clutch. Its a 2 stroke, they love it.

Another great thing about 125's is that once you have learnt to climb a few hills like this and start to get the hang of it, you might notice it helps in corners and a few other places. 125's are great bikes to tech you the basics properly.

12t on the front and the biggest sprocket available on the back, heavy flywheel

a yz250f would be better but it'll still have too high of 1st gear and need geared own, if you want to finesse your way up the hill without a bunch of spastic wheelspin and clutch abuse

I ride a 99' yz125 in the woods, and its set up w/a 13tooth (front) 53tooth (rear)

While it's not the easiest bike to climb a hill on, and i struggle w/it still from time to time myself, (sometimes good, sometimes bad)but i'm getting better.

Like the other guys said, it's all in the clutch!

I'm getting ready to weight the flywheel...which should help a ton!

Also not sure if it will help u much, but i removed the pro-circuit pipe, went back to stock...seemed to give me just a touch more bottom end!

have fun and stay at it:ride:

Clutch, clutch, and more clutch! Also body position. Learn to find that sweet spot between wheel spin and having the bike want to wheelie. That mixed with a bunch of clutch should get you up just about anything.

there's only so much you can do before wheelspin happens, more cc's fixes it, no amount of clutching will help

as much as I love 125's in the woods, when it's wet and hilly it's rough

there's only so much you can do before wheelspin happens, more cc's fixes it, no amount of clutching will help

as much as I love 125's in the woods, when it's wet and hilly it's rough

Nope, 125cc has more than enough power you just have to learn to use the clutch/throttle correctly in these conditions.

too many people ride for 6months then think they need more power to get up hills ect, it doesn't help in the long run

maybe with a lightweight on it, if it's wet and hilly mine is stuck at the bottom, just going up 50cc's is a huge difference

but I'm over 200, your mileage will vary if your light

Clutch, clutch, and more clutch! Also body position. Learn to find that sweet spot between wheel spin and having the bike want to wheelie. That mixed with a bunch of clutch should get you up just about anything.

Agreed, this is why riding a 125 makes a better rider. If you want to go faster on a 125 you have no choice but to master the proper physics.

The 02-04 yz125s had only 5 gears, for wahtever reason. 200 lbs + a 5 speed 125 + a big hill=tough.