Buddy bikes

Do any of you guys keep a buddy bike around? I have a few buddies who seem to be interested in riding,but have never got to go out and have the day on the trails experience. They all seem to be on the fence about dropping the cash(discussing with the wife)on a scoot of their own. I think a good ride or two would push them over the edge. I also have some buddies who have moved,but come back to the area from time to time and it would be cool to go for a ride like old times. I'm seriously considering picking up another bike over the winter just to have around for such occasions and as a spare for myself. I'm thinking something from the KDX or XR family would fit my needs. Something reliable,beginner friendly,and could keep somebody with some experience entertained. It seems like every once in a while an early 2000's KDX will pop up for a grand or less and that's about what I'd be willing to spend on an extra bike. You guys have any suggestions for what the best buddy bike might be? Any drawback besides the extra maintenance to keeping one around?

I was thinkin' about pickin one up my self. Every time i offer up my cr or kx 500's to an on the fence buddy , the answer is no way! Go figure ........ I am thinking of a 98+ yz250 and set it up for the woods, fww , bark busters etc. You want some armor on there for some of your less skilled buddies:banghead: Definitely would be my woods bike when my non bike buddies are not there. I have no problems riding the 500's in the woods and single track, but would be nice to have a lighter option and a buddy bike. I thought about an xr250/400 or yz400/426 but don't really want to do the 4t thing.... just my 2cents. For you, though an xr250 or a newer kdx200 are probably the best buddy bikes, bullet proof easy to ride. I am greedy and like the power/suspension of the yz. My buddies are mostly experienced , but have some un natural fears of 500's:bonk:

There are two problems with keeping an extra bike around.

1) If you are not starting and riding it routinely the carb will get icky pretty quickly. We have an extra bike that I almost have to winterize after it has been ridden because it does not get used enough.

2) You will get to invest your hard earned cash into fixing it when someone else decides to get brave. That's probably been my biggest frustration. One of my son's friends decided he was going to pop wheelies (even though he had only been riding for a day) and ended up bending the handlebars. I of course got to pay for the new bars and put them on.

Overall I do like having the extra bike, but it definitely has some problems.

There are two problems with keeping an extra bike around.

1) If you are not starting and riding it routinely the carb will get icky pretty quickly. We have an extra bike that I almost have to winterize after it has been ridden because it does not get used enough.

2) You will get to invest your hard earned cash into fixing it when someone else decides to get brave. That's probably been my biggest frustration. One of my son's friends decided he was going to pop wheelies (even though he had only been riding for a day) and ended up bending the handlebars. I of course got to pay for the new bars and put them on.

Overall I do like having the extra bike, but it definitely has some problems.

I agree. I let friends use my wife's TTR on occasion, and it usually ends up with me fixing things and washing it afterwards. I'm going to implement a new policy. If you ride any of my bikes, you stay afterwards and attempt to help me fix anything that breaks, and assist me in washing it! My friend used to take me out wakeboarding on his boat alot. He wouldn't let me leave until I helped him unload everything, and help him wash it. Of course I was happy to help, he didn't really even have to ask.

It is worth it to me though, If I can get a friend interested in the sport.

When I got a new bike I kept my XR 400 as a spare / buddy bike. It's not worth anything really so no point in selling it, and it will never die so i dont mind letting it sit around until it's time comes.

But I have yet to find the friend that washed it.....

That policy is a given...I like it!

I agree. I let friends use my wife's TTR on occasion, and it usually ends up with me fixing things and washing it afterwards. I'm going to implement a new policy. If you ride any of my bikes, you stay afterwards and attempt to help me fix anything that breaks, and assist me in washing it! My friend used to take me out wakeboarding on his boat alot. He wouldn't let me leave until I helped him unload everything, and help him wash it. Of course I was happy to help, he didn't really even have to ask.

It is worth it to me though, If I can get a friend interested in the sport.

I have a '96 WR250 as my secondary / buddy bike. It doesn't get ridden nearly enough and the last buddy who rode it got in way over his head with it. Luckily he stopped it real sudden into the back of my pickup. He was comin off a CRF450 and couldn't believe how fast the "inferior 250" would take off from a dead stop. Bent the handle bars and mangled the front fender, but he was unhurt.

I have an 99 XR250 I keep around as a buddy bike, they're great bikes for newer people to learn on. The power is very smooth, and there's not too much of it, but enough to ride like a real offroad bike, not a crf230. I try to put in the least amount of money possible while keeping it ride-able and with proper controls.

I have a 1982 Suzuki DR250 named "old trusty" that is like riding a tractor for anyone who hasn't ridden before. I also have a 1993 KTM LC4 400 named "Miley Cirus" because it's annoying and ugly. The KTM has good brakes and decent power, but weighs a ton, and has a left hand kick start that will make you want to poke your eyes out if you stall the bike when it's hot. Either bike will get people into riding, but will make you want a better bike asap. Also, both bikes are nearly indestructible, so they hardly ever need anything more than a little maintenance. A trials tire will make a hero out of newb in the wet roots as well.

I have an 99 XR250 I keep around as a buddy bike, they're great bikes for newer people to learn on. The power is very smooth, and there's not too much of it, but enough to ride like a real offroad bike, not a crf230. I try to put in the least amount of money possible while keeping it ride-able and with proper controls.

Also have a 99 xr250 as a buddy bike, 1000+ hours before it needed any work. Keeping good tires on it has been the biggest cost.

Enough power to get nearly everywhere, and tame enough for the noobs.

Yep, 03 GG250, nice bike, cheap, reliable and as good as most any other bike. Buddy bike / winter thrasher so my new bikes stay nice. Buddy borrowed it this weekend.

It's sad when you can relegate that machine to buddy bike status. Well OK you can at least term it your winter thrasher. :busted:

It's sad when you can relegate that machine to buddy bike status. Well OK you can at least term it your winter thrasher. :busted:

I like my buddies, stole the bike and it is very EZ to ride / versatile. I ride it a far amount. Love it for technical gnar / rocky / muddy crap.

Funny story. My friend has a 2006 Honda CRF 450R that was down for some maintenance. He's had my 2006 Honda CRF 230 for his family, but busted it out for himself until his 450 was ready. He was so much faster on the CRF 230...not funny. He was on my tail in the tight stuff, which has never happened. I was shocked.

I have a 99 XR250R as my buddy bike.

It's been a real good machine with no issues and easy to ride.

Great bike for people who don't ride often.

Personally I don't ride it. I got it up on CL right now, as I want to pick up a

smoker or something more interesting to ride.