Sign in to follow this  

Cant even change oil with bash plate on!

i just bought a 2000 model ktm 520exc and i wanted to change the oil so i saw a video and read the manual and i went to step one, undo the nut etc but noticed i couldnt because the bash plate was on. i couldnt get a spanner or socket to it so i had to remove the whole bash plate, which was easy, and i will leave it off as i am not a hard core rider that jumps logs etc haha.

also, the bolt right behind the shift lever was so tight i couldnt even get it undone, so i just changed the oil by removing the nut at the back of the engine and the allen key one under the engine. dose anyone know why it could be so hard to undo and how do i fix it? heat it a bit?

so i wanna know why would a bash plate be designed so that the oil cant even be changed without it being removed, and why was the bolt behind the shift lever literally impossible to undo? and how do i fix it?

:busted::bonk::busted:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTyV1Es76-HAMoIcsM-Imu00qQ3FORBkfCIRPPgbGJepdWMcV6wsv3JjJ1N

It's called an impact driver....

yer i have that but different size drives. but wat bout the fact that you cant change the oil without removing the bash plate?

A solution would be the quick release plastic skid plate from the KTM Hard Parts catalog. Otherwise you'll just have to remove the alum skid plate for oil changes just like most of the rest of us.

Chas_M thats a stupid design isnt it i thought i was the only one doing it

My skid plate is bent all to hell from riding in granite boulders and I still change the oil every 2 rides, every ride if it's a big ride. I'm getting good at putting it back on, inspite of the holes not lining up...

You better not get a KTM 950. It has a very "stupid design". Stupid fast too, like all KTMs.:busted:

My skid plate is bent all to hell from riding in granite boulders and I still change the oil every 2 rides, every ride if it's a big ride. I'm getting good at putting it back on, inspite of the holes not lining up...

You better not get a KTM 950. It has a very "stupid design". Stupid fast too, like all KTMs.:busted:

i might just leave the skid plate off i dont do any hard riding

and i will leave it off as i am not a hard core rider that jumps logs etc haha.

I hope you are kidding. I used to ride without one too. Right up till I took a rock to the side case and it cracked it. Started to leak oil and had to replace it. I would recommend taking it off to change the oil and right back on after the oil change.

Yeah, leaving a skid plate off the bike because it's inconvenient when it's time to service the bike could be a very bad idea. Here's a case in point. This past July my daughter and I were in the San Juan Range of the Colorado Rockies to climb several of the famous 14ers (mountains over 14,000 feet in altitude). It was the first time I'd taken my new Ford Raptor off road, but it was a very good thing for a young man named Dave who was up on the Cinnamon Pass jeep road on his Honda XL650. Dave's clutch cover managed to find the only rock of significance in a switchback, and it broke the cover, bent and broke bolts, broke the clutch itself, and dumped all of his motor oil. At roughly 12,400 feet in altitude, he was well and truly stranded in one of the most remote places in North America. We loaded his bike into my truck, and took him up and over the pass into Silverton where we celebrated his "best case scenario" rescue over a lunch of rum and pizza that he bought for us. But for my big, capable truck, his XL might still be up there.

Yeah, leaving a skid plate off the bike because it's inconvenient when it's time to service the bike could be a very bad idea..

On a group ride we had a Suzuki DR650 pickup a rock with the front tire and throw it into the case with enough force to punch a hole. This was on a gravel road. The rider could not remember if the bike ever had a skid plate. Guess he will remember to put one on his next bike.

A solution would be the quick release plastic skid plate from the KTM Hard Parts catalog. Otherwise you'll just have to remove the alum skid plate for oil changes just like most of the rest of us.

Quick release is the way to go for casual rider. Also, mud and dirt can get trapped in there. Take it off when you wash your bike.

wat bout the fact that you cant change the oil without removing the bash plate?

It's probably an after market skid (bash) plate, something KTM has no control over. I had to redrill the hole in the bottom of my 01plate so I could drain the oil from the lower bolt. It was no big deal.

Don't use an impact on your bike. The bolt will break loose, just be careful removing it. Sometimes it helps to shock the bolt with a light tap directly on top of it. The other bolt to be very careful with is the bottom drain bolt, it can strip very easily. There's some aftermarket bolts that are much more durable than the stock unit.

If you can speak to the original owner find out if he updated the cam gear bolt or replaced the cam gear. The bolts have been known to back off causing serious engine damage. On my early bike I just replaced the nut on the bolt and staked the threads with a punch.

It's a great bike and should treat you very well. :busted:

I remove 4 bolts, wash bike, change oil, put plate back on. I wouldn't think of riding without it and I don't find it a pain.

yer i have that but different size drives. but wat bout the fact that you cant change the oil without removing the bash plate?

I just cut a few well placed holes on my skid plate, its never had to come off since.

It's three bolts on my 570 - half as many as on the skidplate of my truck. Neither has ever been a problem.