My CR500AF project completed

Hi im new here , recently ( about a month ago ) i bought a ktm 125 sx 2000 model for £900 and have had to fix the exhaust , back wheel and changed the plug on it but yesterday my friend was out on it and it just died ... he said it just bogged out but the bike is getting very very low compression so im thinking the piston and or rings have went , YOU CAN ALSO KICK THE KICKSTART ALL THE WAY TO THE FOOT PEG THATS NOT RIGHT EH ? was just wondering if any1 could help me out , do you need to re-sleeve the barrel every time you change the piston ? please get back to me as soon as possible because im really gutted after just spending like a grand on it n it to be sitting like that thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...
mypictures017.jpg

Donor 91 cr500. Bought for $750. Sold all non needed parts on ebay for $800.

mypictures016.jpg

Donor crf250 chassis. Bought for $1000.

Let's hear more info...

Cost of total parts?

Total build costs?

...etc

I've got a cherry 2001 CR500 in my garage, that I'd love to do this too... just hard to pull apart a bike in pristine condition. Maybe, sell it... and buy as you did... piece parts. :busted:

Thanks for the compliments guys and yes working on borrowing someones helmet cam for a video. I love love love this bike!!!! Yes it is more work to ride, but at 55 yrs. young it beats going to the gym.

Build is really easy. I got most of my info from cr500riders.com. It has a ton of builds on it. I researched them all and found what I was looking for. I am a pure moto guy, that's why I chose the 08 crf250 chassis.

First thing is to buy a jig that is sold over at cr500riders for the engine mounts. Parts needed are a honda cr125 swingarm bushing(54mm) I think and2001 cr250 air boot.

Some of the builds at cr500riders have detailed pictures of builds. Glad to answer any questions also. I will take some pictures of my mounts to show how I did them.

Biggest costs were a new pro-circuit pipe, v-force 3 reed cage, a freshened engine, piston/rings, rod and brgs/seals. I had a local welder do the welding that was only about $300. I think I only have about $2000 in this bike.:busted:

Yeah it was just cut off the old mounts, fab new ones. Cut about 3 1/2" from the Y. Added 1" square 6061 tubing about 6" per side. (with 3/4 solid aluminum stock to go inside tubing at connection point) The jig is the most important piece to mounts and engine fitment.

Check out cr500riders.com tons of builds on there. It also helps you decide which frame you want to use by other guys builds and uses.

I have seen a kx250 engine in kxf250 chassis and looks to be similar. I also think there are some of those on that site and others as well.

I will try and get you some other guys builds at cr500riders that I used that had detailed photos.