Sign in to follow this  

TE610 brand new cam chain+tensioner rattling

Hi guys,

I need some opinions on what is going on with my damn cam chain.

Yesterday i replaced the cam chain and the automatic spring loaded tensioner on my 1998 TE610E with brand new OEM parts.

The old chain was rattling and destroyed my reed valve.

When i put it all back together there was a substantial rattle from the cam chain when the thottle was snapped on or off.

I put the tensioner in properly, holding the spring tension back and then letting it go once it was bolted onto the engine.

Any clues? im at my wits end....

Thanks,

Pete

Perhaps the cam bearing and/or rocker bushings are shot?

Hi guys,

I need some opinions on what is going on with my damn cam chain.

Yesterday i replaced the cam chain and the automatic spring loaded tensioner on my 1998 TE610E with brand new OEM parts.

The old chain was rattling and destroyed my reed valve.

Any clues? im at my wits end....

Thanks,

Pete

Hi Pete,

I didn't know the TEe had a reed valve - just a twin oil pump ,

I thought only the left kickers had a reed valve

the Auto tensioner is not too reliable,

I've heard of duff ones from new,

undo (and remove)the x- head screw, put your fine-flat blade screwdriver back into the slot,

and find-out if screwing either way will push the slippers further in in to calm the rattling,

I thought the tensioner was U.S. on mine - as doing this would dampen most of the rattling..,

BUT - that doesn't really cure your issue, http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=6431137#post6431137

let us know how it goes,

Charlie

Hi Charlie,

Thanks for the reply. I spent another night down in the workshop tonight trying to get that damn rattle to go away. Now have both sidecovers and valve cover off. Again.

I just dont understand why its rattling. Even if i put the CCT in with its arm fully extended it doesnt seem to calm the rattle at all.

I even made up a manual type CCT with the old automatic one i had. I tapped a thread into the housing and put in a big bolt with a rounded end. This has more reach than the auto one but still didnt seem to affect it.

Is there anything else on that side of the engine that could make a similar sound to a loose Camchain?

As far as i can tell the cam bearings seem fine. They have no stiff spots or free play or anything.

The cam chain has literally been run for 2 minutes, as has the new auto tensioner.

Any one have any ideas?

Thanks,

Pete

Assuming that it really is cam chain noise and not something else making the racket then the likely cause is worn sprockets. Check to make sure that the chain is mating up properly with the sprockets. Even if it looks like they are mating together well the sprokects may be worn to the point that the tensioner runs out of travel before it takes up all the slack in the chain.