Sign in to follow this  

450R Offroad

Anyone ride a newer FI 450R for off road and track? if so what are your mods, how does it compare with the X

My bike is still pretty new (2012 crf 450r) but I have hours on the trail and track.. I came off an x and there are some differences for sure. The R can do both track and trail good where as the x is not great for the track it’s a pig. With the R I havent had any over heating issues or anything like that on the trail. The R gets pretty good mileage with the fi, but you might want to carry extra fuel on the longer trail rides. The R is lighter and you can feel it on the trail at higher speeds the front end seems a lot lighter than the x. My x had a scotts stabilizer and the R has a different approach with the stock stabilizer that mainly helps defection in the turns and does not help strait line stability, so if I were riding more trail with the R I would get a scotts for it.

Its hard to compare the two because they are such different animals. If your going to stay to the trail mainly I would get the x. If you want both track and trail get the R.

you can check out my X and the mods that are done in my garage.

pros of the X on the trail VS the R

wide ratio trans

bigger radiators

more fuel

suspension valved more towards the trail

18 inch rear wheel for less pinch flats

more stabile at higher speeds

electric start

pros of the r

more power

harder hit

lighter

turns better

FI is awesome, crisp

Thanks Rapid. The X is a pig and hard to ride at the track. It's great for what it is built for. I've never trail ridden the R and plan on taking it out tomorrow. I suppose with a larger tank and an 18 I could do more damage with the R. So tell me, you have both the R and an X currently and still ride the R on the trails?

I don't NEED to sell either bike. I own them both, not strapped for cash, just hate the constant thought of continual maintainence on two bikes.

Thanks Rapid. The X is a pig and hard to ride at the track. It's great for what it is built for. I've never trail ridden the R and plan on taking it out tomorrow. I suppose with a larger tank and an 18 I could do more damage with the R. So tell me, you have both the R and an X currently and still ride the R on the trails?

I don't NEED to sell either bike. I own them both, not strapped for cash, just hate the constant thought of continual maintainence on two bikes.

how did the ride go?

yeah I have both and still ride the R on the trail.. Maybe if I lived closer to the desert I would think about hanging on to two bikes, but the R serves as a good bike for both track and trail where I live.

The ride was awesome. Went to a local spot up the road, been there hundreds of times and know it well. I'd never ridden the R off road before this, what a fricken idiot I was. The thing flat out ripped. It was like being on a two stroke again, (I really love two strokes for off roading). Think I will get the bigger tank and just ride the R. I will be selling the X, hopefully to a good home.